Suggestions on Improving Efficiency (Motor-Generator)

In summary, a shake style flashlight is more effecient because the kinetic energy is converted to electrical energy more efficiently than a crank style flashlight.
jimmynora
(Drawing of the setup attached)

Background:

We conduct electrical tests in our lab on electrical components (circuit breakers, switchgears,etc). In the lab we have a short-circuit Generator that generates the electricity for the tests. The generator is powered by an asynchronous motor with a slipring rotor. We are trying to improving the efficiency of this process by measuring our electrical consumption and comparing it with how much we actually need. A suggestion is to feed-in the excess electricity back into the grid.

Specifications of Motor/Generator:

6KV
2500KW
280A
Pf= 0.9
f= 50Hz (R= 2975/min)

I need suggestion on how we could improve the electrical efficiency of the testing procedure.

Q) Any other feasible methods on how to save the excess electricity apart from feeding-in the excess electricity into the grid ?

Q) How would we need to modify the circuit (best method) and what additional components would we need to install to allow us to feed-in the excess electricity ?

Q) During shut-down of the generator or braking of the generator to slow it down (eg. 1000/min) can we use this mechanical energy to provide electricity to feed-back into grid or circuit. How can we do that and what components will we need to install (In this case the frequency will drop below 50Hz required frequency of the grid.)

Attachments

• tesst.jpg
    tesst.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 491
Engineering news on Phys.org
jimmynora said:
(Drawing of the setup attached)

Background:

We conduct electrical tests in our lab on electrical components (circuit breakers, switchgears,etc). In the lab we have a short-circuit Generator that generates the electricity for the tests. The generator is powered by an asynchronous motor with a slipring rotor. We are trying to improving the efficiency of this process by measuring our electrical consumption and comparing it with how much we actually need. A suggestion is to feed-in the excess electricity back into the grid.

Specifications of Motor/Generator:

6KV
2500KW
280A
Pf= 0.9
f= 50Hz (R= 2975/min)

I need suggestion on how we could improve the electrical efficiency of the testing procedure.

Q) Any other feasible methods on how to save the excess electricity apart from feeding-in the excess electricity into the grid ?

Q) How would we need to modify the circuit (best method) and what additional components would we need to install to allow us to feed-in the excess electricity ?

Q) During shut-down of the generator or braking of the generator to slow it down (eg. 1000/min) can we use this mechanical energy to provide electricity to feed-back into grid or circuit. How can we do that and what components will we need to install (In this case the frequency will drop below 50Hz required frequency of the grid.)

I would first understand what the typical inductance of the system you are doing work to, and then add enough capacitance to the supply to get a better power factor.

just wondering... why can't u power your test circuit directly with lines instead of going throught a generator.

Hello,
I am new here and have enjoyed reading for many years. I have a simple question and I realize it borders on rediculous to ask but here it goes. What example is more effecient in producing electricity. A magnet passing over a coil or a magnet passing through a coil. In other words what is more effecient a shake style flashlight or a crank style flashlight and why.

Last edited:

1. How can I improve the efficiency of my motor-generator?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a motor-generator, including using high-quality materials, reducing friction and resistance, and optimizing the design for maximum output.

2. What type of materials should I use to improve efficiency?

To improve efficiency, it is recommended to use materials with low electrical resistance, such as copper for the windings and iron for the core. Additionally, using high-quality bearings and lubricants can reduce friction and improve efficiency.

3. Can I increase the efficiency of an existing motor-generator?

Yes, it is possible to increase the efficiency of an existing motor-generator by making adjustments to the design and using more efficient materials. However, it may be more cost-effective to invest in a new, more efficient motor-generator.

4. How can I reduce the resistance in my motor-generator?

To reduce resistance, you can use larger wire sizes for the windings, minimize the length of the wire, and use high-quality insulation to prevent leakage currents. Additionally, keeping the motor-generator clean and free of debris can also help reduce resistance.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the efficiency of a motor-generator?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect efficiency, such as the operating temperature, the load on the motor-generator, and the type of load it is powering. It is important to consider all of these factors when trying to improve efficiency.