What types of retro candy can still be found today?

• Thread starter Phrak
  • Start date
In summary, there are various types of retro candy that can still be found today. These include popular favorites like candy cigarettes, Pez dispensers, and Bazooka bubble gum, as well as more obscure choices like candy buttons and Nik-L-Nip wax bottles. Many of these candies have been around for decades and can still be found in specialty candy shops or online retailers. While some may have undergone slight changes in packaging or ingredients, they continue to evoke nostalgia for those who grew up enjoying them.
Phrak
A work mate when on a long lunch and brought back candy from yesteryear. Cool, dude!

I got Pop Rocks and Fizzies and Bottle Caps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Malt Balls, a staple of my childhood :smile:.

I loved Fizzies! You can still get the chocolate malt balls, I love them. Can you get malted milkshakes anymore? Ice cream shops used to be called "malt shops".

Evo said:
I loved Fizzies! You can still get the chocolate malt balls, I love them. Can you get malted milkshakes anymore? Ice cream shops used to be called "malt shops".
There are a couple of places near here where you can still get a malted. But where can you get skybars or chuckles?

Sweet-Tarts were a favorite, as were Mint Julep and Banana Split chews. Once in a while, I'd buy a Hershey's Lunch Bar, because the deposit on soda bottles was 3 cents and that's what the chocolate bar cost. I knew the local grocer very well, and he'd let me buy a soda and a Lunch Bar for 10 cents because I would always return the bottle and put it in the rack. 7 cents for a Coke and 3 cents for a Lunch Bar made for a cheap sugar-high.

Phrak said:
A work mate when on a long lunch and brought back candy from yesteryear.

It will be completely off topic... Is this a correct English phrase? I can guess what you mean, but I miss predicate in the first part (work mate being a subject).

I already checked that yesteryear doesn't have to mean last year as I thought.

I am not a grammar police, it is that my English fails me. Sometimes I am sure there is a typo, or a word missing, but sometimes I have no idea what is going on. And many times I was told phrases that looked strange to me were perfectly OK.

Borek said:
It will be completely off topic... Is this a correct English phrase? I can guess what you mean, but I miss predicate in the first part (work mate being a subject).

I already checked that yesteryear doesn't have to mean last year as I thought.

I am not a grammar police, it is that my English fails me. Sometimes I am sure there is a typo, or a word missing, but sometimes I have no idea what is going on. And many times I was told phrases that looked strange to me were perfectly OK.
Aha, Phrak typed "when" and it should be "went". Should I ban him? :biggrin:

Phrak said:
A work mate when on a long lunch and brought back candy from yesteryear. Cool, dude!

I got Pop Rocks and Fizzies and Bottle Caps.

Did he use a time machine while on his lunch break?

Evo said:
Aha, Phrak typed "when" and it should be "went". Should I ban him? :biggrin:

Zap... the OP is history... (Evo blows smoke off the Ban gun) The retro candy I remember the most was red string licorice, 1/2 a penny each, candy cigarettes, malted milk balls, (Evo calls them: chocolate malt balls), good and plenty candy, fifty cents would go a long way back then.

Rhody... o:)

Evo said:
Aha, Phrak typed "when" and it should be "went".

Ah, obvious now.

Should I ban him? :biggrin:

Your call, shouldn't be that difficult :wink:

[PLAIN]http://www.oldtimeconfection.com/Gum/Nostalgia%20gum%20prepack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Ah, obvious now.

Your call, shouldn't be that difficult :wink:

That won't be necessary. Simply add three brownie points to my score and banning will be a simple matter of applying administrative controls.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Blow Pops

Wasn't that a Dr. Suess book?

Danger said:
Wasn't that a Dr. Suess book?

Banned in the US, of course.

Anyone remember these?

[PLAIN]http://www.megalink.net/~dale/candycig1.jpg

Our ice-cream man used to stock them, but I would be willing to bet that selling these to children is a big no-no now.

QuarkCharmer said:
Anyone remember these?

[PLAIN]http://www.megalink.net/~dale/candycig1.jpg

Our ice-cream man used to stock them, but I would be willing to bet that selling these to children is a big no-no now.
I used to buy a pack of cigs, maybe a cigar or 2, some big lips and fake fingernails, then ride my bike to the park and swing.

My favorites were the chocolate cigarettes.

Ooh, this place has an even better selection, it has Jimmy's Sky bar!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/candylist.htm

OMG, I can still taste the syrup in these. Poke a hole in the top with a toothpick and bottoms up!

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/nik-l-nip-sticks.htm

Care with the Pop Rocks and soda. That's how Mikey exploded, remember?

I remember chewing gum packed as cigarettes.

Evo said:

They still sell Carnation's malted milk mix in grocery stores. Make your own shake.

Always used to get a frozen malt at Dodger games. And I still love malt balls.

Candy cigarettes were great; and just like mom and dad's!

Evo said:
I used to buy a pack of cigs, maybe a cigar or 2, some big lips and fake fingernails, then ride my bike to the park and swing.

I forgot about the cigars.:rofl:

Other than getting to school, the primary purpose of my bike was to take me to the 7-11.

I remember the lips. There were other wax things too that were filled with 'juice' but I can't remember what they were.

What were the straw things called that were filled with sweet powder? Was it Pixie Stix? They were good and fun to eat. The straw was made of paper and it would seal up from your saliva and you had to keep opening it by hand. But it was worth the effort.:smile:

My father used to give me 30 cents to run out for a pack of cigarettes for him and a candy bar for myself. I was partial to Skybars and he smoked Pall Malls.

milkbottles

SpringCreek said:

Other than getting to school, the primary purpose of my bike was to take me to the 7-11.

I remember the lips. There were other wax things too that were filled with 'juice' but I can't remember what they were.

What were the straw things called that were filled with sweet powder? Was it Pixie Stix? They were good and fun to eat. The straw was made of paper and it would seal up from your saliva and you had to keep opening it by hand. But it was worth the effort.:smile:

Ah, Pixie Stix, those were great. Just don't inhale at the wrong time.

4042351423_74c26e960b.jpg
4043107382_a3200acba7.jpg
4042356825_ee9ba3ef6e.jpg

boston baked beans were a favorite

Ivan Seeking said:
Candy cigarettes were great; and just like mom and dad's!

We have a "Mast General Store" in town, and they still sell old fashoined candy in big wooden barrels by the pound. Candy cigarettes are called "candy sticks" now (but are still available. I know this because the kid's uncle was in town recently and got a few "packs." For those of you less lucky than I (to have a store like this nearby) Mast does have an online catalog and will sell candy (although is chocolate is involved they limit their shipping days a bit and include a cold-pack to prevent melting).

The cigarettes are on http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/category.cfm/CurrentPage/6/mast/old-fashioned-favorites-candy" of "old-fashioned candy."

SpringCreek said:

There were other wax things too that were filled with 'juice' but I can't remember what they were.

on page 4 of the catalog. I personally find thinking of wax as candy disgusting. :yuck:
Wax as something to burn however... :devil: Childhood pyromaniac memories...

SpringCreek said:

Yep: pixie stix. One of my favorites. The trick is to not touch it with your tongue, but rather pour onto your tongue.

...and like turbo, I'm also a Sweet-tart fan. I used to buy a roll at each HS football game and keep it in the pocket of my band-uniform and it would last through the game. I played percussion, so I didn't have to worry about gunking up the inside of an instrument in case there was an unanticipated score (and hence playing of the fight song).

1. What are some examples of retro candy that can still be found today?

Some examples of retro candy that can still be found today include Pop Rocks, candy necklaces, Mallo Cups, Nik-L-Nips, and Bottle Caps.

2. Are there any popular retro candy brands that are still in production?

Yes, there are several popular retro candy brands that are still in production, such as Hershey's, Nestle, Tootsie Roll, and Mars. These brands have been around for decades and continue to produce popular retro candy favorites.

3. Can I still find retro candy from specific decades?

Yes, many retro candy shops and online retailers sell candy from specific decades, such as the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. These stores and websites often have a wide selection of nostalgic candy that was popular during those time periods.

4. Are there any retro candy stores that specialize in selling only vintage candy?

Yes, there are several retro candy stores that specialize in selling only vintage candy. These stores often have a wide selection of classic and hard-to-find retro candy from different eras. They can also be a great resource for finding unique and nostalgic gifts.

5. Can I still find retro candy from other countries?

Yes, retro candy from other countries can still be found today. Many international candy stores and online retailers sell classic and popular retro candy from different countries. This can be a fun way to try new and unique candies from around the world.