Exam problem : solve exponential withh log? This one is killin me

In summary, to solve the exponential with logarithm problem, you first need to use the inverse property of logarithms and rewrite the terms on the left hand side as powers of 6. Then, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the equation and make a substitution to solve for the variable. It is important to carefully consider the form of the equation and look for familiar patterns in order to solve it correctly.
sixshot8
exam problem : solve exponential withh ... log? This one is killin me!

36^x-6*6^x=-9

please show and explain steps

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF sixshot8!

Remember that the logarithm to base "n" of something is the inverse operation of raising n to the power of that something i.e.:

logn(nx) = x

Now, you can rewrite every term on the left hand side as a power of 6:

36x = (62)x = ?

6*6x = 616x = ?

Use what you know about the rules of exponents to fill in the question marks.

So, it seems like at some point, taking a base 6 logarithm might be useful. Or you can express the exponentials in terms of another base, like 'e', that might be more convenient.

We don't do people's homework for them at PF, so I'm not going to give you a step by step solution.

EDIT: Looking at things more closely, I think it might be useful to express each term as a multiple of 6x

Similar to what cepheid originally said, make a substitution where w = 6x. Rewrite the original equation in terms of w, and go on from there.

Which equation are you asking about?

[itex]36^{x-6}*6^x = (-9)[/itex]

or

[itex]36^{x}-6*6^x = (-9)[/itex]

I would think you mean the first, correct?

AJKing said:

or

The second seems more likely considering how often they like to bring up these kinds of questions.

You have

[tex] 36^{x}-6(6^{x}) = -9[/tex]

which you can also write as

[tex]36^{x}\, -\, 6(6^{x}) \, + \,9=0[/tex]

Now

[tex]36^{x} \, = \, (6.6)^{x} \, = \, (6^{2})^{x} \, = \, (6^{x})^{2} [/tex]

So your above equation can be written as

(**) [tex](6^{x})^{2} \, - \, 6(6^{x}) \, + \, 9 \, = \, 0 [/tex]

Does equation (**) seem to have a familiar (common) looking form that you have seen before ? Think about it. How would you go about solving for
[tex]6^{x}[/tex] ?

Last edited:

Moderator's note:

Now that the OP has received plenty of hints, let's wait for a response before offering further help.

AJKing said:

or

Slightl;y OT, but I don't see how the first could give negative result.

1. How do I solve exponential equations with log?

To solve exponential equations with log, first identify the base of the exponential term. Then, use the logarithm rule logb(xn) = n*logb(x) to rewrite the equation. Next, use the inverse property of logarithms to isolate the variable. Finally, solve for the variable using basic algebraic principles.

2. What is the relationship between exponentials and logarithms?

The relationship between exponentials and logarithms is that they are inverse functions of each other. This means that if an exponential equation has the form y = ax, the inverse logarithmic equation would be x = loga(y). In other words, logarithms help us to "undo" exponents and solve for the variable.

3. How do I use the properties of logarithms to solve equations?

The properties of logarithms, such as the power rule and product rule, can be used to simplify and solve equations involving logarithms. These properties allow us to rewrite logarithmic expressions and make them easier to work with. To use the properties, it is important to understand and apply the rules correctly.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve exponential equations with log?

Yes, you can use a scientific calculator to solve exponential equations with log. Most scientific calculators have a log button that allows you to input the base and the argument of the logarithm. Just make sure to use the correct base and follow the order of operations when inputting the equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving exponential equations with log?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving exponential equations with log include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, using the wrong log base, and not applying logarithm rules correctly. It is also important to double check your final answer and make sure it satisfies the original equation.