How do you take the limit of a function approaching negative infinity?

In summary: Does that help?In summary, to take the limit of lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^{3}+1} , we can rewrite the expression as lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^3}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}} and then change the denominator of the numerator from x^3 to -\sqrt{x^6}. This will result in a final answer of -3 when evaluated at x = -∞.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

How would you take this limit? The function is:
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^{3}+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

34oy2d2.jpg

Uh, square root of negative infinity?

Graphing tells me that this should go to -3.

I just recalled that I can pull the 9 out to get 3root(-∞) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuarkCharmer said:
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\sqrt{\frac{9x^{6}}{x^3}-\frac{x}{x^3}}}{\frac{x^{3}}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^3}}[/tex]
Nooooooo... you can't just divide by x3 when you have a square root in the numerator!

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

How would you take this limit? The function is:
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^{3}+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

34oy2d2.jpg

Uh, square root of negative infinity?

Graphing tells me that this should go to -3.

I just recalled that I can pull the 9 out to get 3root(-∞) ?

You made an error with the squareroot. On the numerator, you're multiplying by 1/x^3 (which is fine). How do you proceed to move this into the squareroot?

We briefly touched on this idea in class Friday, and only talked about polynomials, and the proof of the way we determine horizontal asymptotes without limits.

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^3}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}}[/tex]

I'm really not sure where to go from there?

QuarkCharmer said:
We briefly touched on this idea in class Friday, and only talked about polynomials, and the proof of the way we determine horizontal asymptotes without limits.

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^3}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}}[/tex]

I'm really not sure where to go from there?
Note that
[tex]x^3 = -\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
(since x is approaching negative infinity)

So
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{x^3}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}} = lim_{x\rightarrow -∞}\frac{\frac{\sqrt{9x^{6}-x}}{-\sqrt{x^6}}}{1+\frac{1}{x^3}} = ...[/tex]

20qark3.jpg

I get what to do now, for the most part. Now I assume I must have some sign error. As noted above
[tex]x^3=\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
I don't understand how you got the negative there. The exponent is odd. Is it because the limit to -inf assumes x is negative?

QuarkCharmer said:
20qark3.jpg

I get what to do now, for the most part. Now I assume I must have some sign error. As noted above
[tex]x^3=\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
I don't understand how you got the negative there. The exponent is odd. Is it because the limit to -inf assumes x is negative?

Yes, that's right. Since x is negative, x^3 is the negative square root of x^6.

So, should I be dividing everything by the negative highest degree in the cases when x tends to negative infinity?

If that is the case, then the top would evaluate to -3 sure, but the denominator would be -1 after the limit, making the solution positive 3?

No, no. You're still dividing top and bottom by x^3, not -x^3. However, in the "denominator of the numerator", you're going to change x^3 to -sqrt(x6). Now, why -sqrt(x6) and not +sqrt(x6)? The reason is because x^3 is only equal to sqrt(x6) for positive x. For negative x, x^3 is equal to -sqrt(x6).

Hopefully I helped out a bit here.

I'm not sure I understand why only the numerators denominator is getting the negative?

QuarkCharmer said:
I'm not sure I understand why only the numerator's denominator is getting the negative?
Because you leave the denominator's denominator as x3.

In the numerator's denominator you change x3 to [itex]-\sqrt{x^6}\,.[/itex]

So essentially, the whole expression is getting it's sign changed then?

QuarkCharmer said:
So essentially, the whole expression is getting it's sign changed then?
Yes ... At least that's the way in appears.

Actually, the expression is less than zero (i.e., negative) for x < -1 . It's just that you need to explicitly provide a negative sign when you change x3 to [itex]-\sqrt{x^6}[/itex] if x < 0 .

What is the concept of "Limits Approaching Infinity"?

Limits approaching infinity is a mathematical concept that deals with the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity. It helps us understand the long-term behavior of a function and its asymptotic behavior.

How do you find the limit of a function approaching infinity?

To find the limit of a function approaching infinity, we substitute a very large number for the input value and see what value the function approaches. If the function approaches a finite number, then that is the limit. If the function approaches infinity, then the limit does not exist.

What are the different types of limits approaching infinity?

There are three types of limits approaching infinity: horizontal asymptotes, vertical asymptotes, and slant asymptotes. Horizontal asymptotes occur when the function approaches a constant value as the input values approach infinity. Vertical asymptotes occur when the function approaches infinity or negative infinity as the input values approach a certain value. Slant asymptotes occur when the function approaches a linear function as the input values approach infinity.

What are the properties of limits approaching infinity?

Some important properties of limits approaching infinity include the sum and difference properties, product and quotient properties, and the power property. These properties allow us to simplify and evaluate limits more easily.

Why are limits approaching infinity important in mathematics?

Limits approaching infinity are important because they help us understand the behavior of functions in the long run. They also play a crucial role in calculus, where they are used to define derivatives and integrals. Additionally, limits approaching infinity are used in various real-world applications, such as modeling population growth and predicting future trends.