Understanding the Trough Problem: 10ft Pipe with Isoceles Triangle Ends

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a trough with the shape of isosceles triangles at its ends, measuring 10ft long and 1ft high. The speaker mentions using the volume of a cylinder and two cones to help solve a problem related to this trough. They also clarify the definition of a trough and its dimensions.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is the beginning of a question and I have NO clue what the hell they are talking about.

A trough is 10ft long and its ends have the shape of isoceles triangles that are 3ft across at the top and have a height of 1ft.

This is just the beginning of the question. I looked up what trough is and I found it to be some sort of pipe.

I can't solve the problem without this.

I'm thinking of a pipe that is 10 feet long and 1 feet high. That is the volume of a cylinder. Plus, 2 cones on the tips of some kind. I really don't know.

Any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A trough is, erm, something that farm animals eat out of, amongst other things. Just imagine you've got a container that is prism of constant cross section (the triangle) and of length 10ft. That is the trough.

Feet? Oh well. Never mind.

take a long section of pipe with a triangular cross section. remove one of the sides and you'll have your trough.

Like this...

\...../
..\_________/

...is that it?

3 feet across the top, from what?

Yes that would be a trough, I would say the distance between the top corner of the trough to the other top corner is 3 feet.

In other words, the trough is 1 feet tall.

What am I supposed to visualize here?

1. Why is visualization important in science?

Visualization is important in science because it allows us to better understand complex data and concepts. It helps us to identify patterns, trends, and relationships that may not be easily apparent from just looking at numbers or text. It also allows us to communicate our findings more effectively to others.

2. How do I know what to visualize?

The type of visualization you choose will depend on the data you are trying to represent and the message you are trying to convey. It's important to carefully consider the purpose of your visualization and the audience it is intended for. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in your field for guidance.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating visualizations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating visualizations include using misleading or incorrect data, using the wrong type of visualization for the data, cluttering the visualization with unnecessary elements, and not labeling or titling the visualization clearly.

4. What are some tips for creating effective visualizations?

Some tips for creating effective visualizations include choosing the right type of visualization for your data, keeping the design simple and easy to understand, using appropriate color schemes and labels, and providing context and explanations for the data being presented. It's also important to test your visualization with others and make any necessary revisions based on feedback.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with creating visualizations?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can help you create visualizations, such as Microsoft Excel, Tableau, and Google Data Studio. These tools offer a variety of charts, graphs, and customization options to help you create effective visualizations. There are also online tutorials and resources available to help you learn how to use these tools effectively.