Night Sky Watching: The International Space Station

In summary, the speaker woke up early and used their telescope to view Saturn, the Orion Nebula, and Mars. They then saw the International Space Station moving across the sky and shared a website that allows users to track its location. The website also features a 3D image of the Earth and satellites.
stuffy
I woke up at 4:30 PST (San Diego) and couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to take my telescope out and finally check out Saturn, the Orion Nebula, and Mars again. They looked awesome through the 8" telescope and I wish I was able to take pictures. Then around 5:30 I saw a really bright object moving slowly from the southwest towards the northeast, too big and bright to be a satellite. I knew it wasn't a plane because it had no blinking lights so I tried to use my telescope but I was only able to make out a solid ball of light at that speed. Turns out it was the International Space Station! I just thought that was neat and wanted to share. :eek:)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the International Space Station (ISS)?

The ISS is a large, habitable artificial satellite that orbits the Earth. It is a joint project between several countries and serves as a platform for scientific research and international collaboration in space.

2. How can I see the ISS in the night sky?

The ISS can be seen with the naked eye as a bright, fast-moving star. To see it, you can check online resources for the specific dates, times, and locations where it will be passing overhead. It is also possible to track the ISS using a smartphone app.

3. How long does the ISS take to orbit the Earth?

The ISS orbits the Earth every 90 minutes at an altitude of approximately 250 miles. This means it travels at a speed of about 17,500 miles per hour!

4. Can I see the ISS during the daytime?

Yes, it is possible to see the ISS during the daytime if the conditions are right. However, it will not be as visible as it is during the night since it will be competing with the brightness of the sun and the blue sky.

5. What can I learn from watching the ISS in the night sky?

Watching the ISS in the night sky can be a fun and educational experience. You can learn about space exploration and the technology used to build and maintain the ISS. You can also observe the speed and magnitude of the ISS and appreciate the vastness of our universe.