Biomedical Engineering graduate school

In summary: The most important thing is to have an interest in the area. If you are passionate about it, you will be able to learn whatever you need to know.
l-1j-cho
So only few universities offer BME programme in Bachelor Level. If I want to pursue this career, I need to go to graduate school.

Then what Bachelor's degree should I get?
Is it better to have BSc in Biology or BASc in Mechanical Engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Get an Electrical engineering degree.

so you mean EE degree is more related to BME than ME?

l-1j-cho said:
so you mean EE degree is more related to BME than ME?

Yup. I have no sources but Electrical Engineer is the most general engineering.

Also, isn't biomedical engineering the science that try to solve the medical problems ?

checkout this informations about biomedical engineering
Biomedical engineering (BME) is the application of engineering principles and techniques to the medical field. It combines the design and problem solving expertise of engineering with the medical expertise of physicians to help improve patient health care and the quality of life of healthy individuals. As a relatively new discipline, much of the work in biomedical engineering consists of research and development, covering an array of fields: bioinformatics, medical imaging, image processing, physiological signal processing, biomechanics, biomaterials and bioengineering, systems analysis, 3-D modeling, etc. Examples of concrete applications of biomedical engineering are the development and manufacture of biocompatible prostheses, medical devices, diagnostic devices and imaging equipment such as MRIs and EEGs, and pharmaceutical drugs.

Biomedical engineers usually require degrees from recognized universities, and sound knowledge of engineering and biological science. Their jobs often pay well (ranging from US $50,000 to $125,000 per year in 2005). Though the number of biomedical engineers is currently low (under 10,000), the number is expected to rise as modern medicine improves. Universities are now improving their biomedical engineering courses because interest in the field is increasing. Currently, according to U.S. News & World Report, the program at Johns Hopkins University is ranked first in the nation in the category of bioengineering/biomedical engineering. At the undergraduate level, an increasing number of programs are also becoming recognized by ABET as accredited bioengineering/biomedical engineering programs in the United States. Duke University, ranked second in the U.S. by U.S. News, was the first program accredited by the Engineering Council for Profession Development (now ABET) in September of 1972.

and that's also form Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomedical_engineering
Here's what a poster has to say about BME.

Gotten from here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=144905&page=2
TVP45 said:
OK, I worked about 14 years as a biomechanical engineer, much of that in a major medical research hospital complex. I know lots of biomedical guys and can shed some light (specific to US). Although there is a Biomedical Engr. major, many do not arrive via that route. My education was Physics and Engineering Physics. I needed heavy design knowledge in mechanics and electrical and a moderate background in chemistry and a wee background in Biology. Others that I worked with had heavy computer skills or heavy electronics skills or othotics or biology, etc. There is no one size fits all preparation. I can tell you that you will almost certainly need an advanced degree in the US. No matter the route, you must absolutely have good math and communication skills.

If you are truly interested, write to one of the major centers and ask for a visit. Volunteer as an unpaid summer intern. Interview someone who is working in the area you are interested in.

Last edited:
All the biomedical engineers I know started out in electrical engineering, but as has been posted, that's not the only route.

A bachelor's degree in biology will not prepare you for graduate school in BME. It's good to have some kind of background in biology, but you can learn most of what you need to know as you go through graduate school. The engineering, physics and mathematics involved requires more formal rigour.

1. What is biomedical engineering graduate school?

Biomedical engineering graduate school is a program that focuses on the application of engineering principles and techniques to the field of medicine and healthcare. It combines the study of biology and medicine with the design and development of medical devices, equipment, and software.

2. What are the admission requirements for biomedical engineering graduate school?

The admission requirements for biomedical engineering graduate school may vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs typically require a bachelor's degree in engineering, biology, or a related field, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require relevant work experience and a statement of purpose.

3. What can I do with a degree in biomedical engineering?

A degree in biomedical engineering can lead to various career opportunities in the healthcare industry. Graduates can work in medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, research laboratories, and government agencies. They may also pursue further education and research in academia.

4. What skills are required for a successful career in biomedical engineering?

Successful biomedical engineers possess a combination of technical skills, such as knowledge of engineering principles, computer-aided design, and data analysis, as well as soft skills like communication, problem-solving, and teamwork. They also need to have a strong understanding of biology and medical principles to apply engineering techniques to solve medical problems.

5. What research opportunities are available in biomedical engineering graduate school?

Biomedical engineering graduate school offers a wide range of research opportunities, including tissue engineering, medical imaging, biomaterials, drug delivery, and biomedical instrumentation. Students can work on cutting-edge projects with faculty members and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. These research experiences can help prepare students for future careers in academia or industry.