Question about Least Squares Fitting

In summary, least squares fitting is a mathematical method used to find the line of best fit for a set of data points by minimizing the sum of squared differences between actual data points and predicted values. It works by calculating the squared distance between data points and the line of best fit and adjusting the parameters until the best fit is found. There is a difference between linear and non-linear least squares fitting, with non-linear being more complex. It has various applications in science and engineering, but has limitations including assumptions about data distribution and only being able to fit linear or non-linear functions.
bhr11
Hey,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this but ...

I have a graph for which I am supposed to fit two linear least squares line and minimize the combined residuals (the lines intersect)... I would really appreciate some info about how to do this or what this type of data analysis is called so i can google the step-by-step method.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't clearly described what you are trying to do. My guess is that you should search on the phrase "piecewise linear regression".

1. What is least squares fitting?

Least squares fitting is a mathematical method used to find the line of best fit for a set of data points. It minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values from the line of best fit.

2. How does least squares fitting work?

In least squares fitting, the distance between each data point and the line of best fit is calculated, squared, and then summed together. This sum is then minimized by adjusting the parameters of the line of best fit, usually through an iterative process, until the best fit is found.

3. What is the difference between linear and non-linear least squares fitting?

Linear least squares fitting involves fitting a linear function (such as a straight line) to the data points, while non-linear least squares fitting involves fitting a non-linear function (such as a curve) to the data points. Non-linear least squares fitting is generally more complex and requires more advanced mathematical techniques.

4. What are the applications of least squares fitting?

Least squares fitting is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as statistics, physics, and economics. It can be used to analyze data, make predictions, and model relationships between variables.

5. What are the limitations of least squares fitting?

Least squares fitting assumes that the data points have a normal distribution and that there are no errors or outliers in the data. If these assumptions are not met, the results of the fitting may not accurately represent the data. Additionally, least squares fitting can only fit linear or non-linear functions, so it may not be suitable for more complex data sets.