How to calculate any 8 digits, to two 4 digit combinations?

In summary, the conversation is about a theory for predicting the numbers in NYC's Win 4 lottery game. The person noticed that the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 8, 9 have appeared frequently in recent winning combinations. They are looking for a way to calculate two 4-digit combinations with these numbers, with the exception of the two 5's repeating. They are asking for help on how to input this into a standard calculator and are wondering if their theory is correct based on recent winning numbers. They also mention the concept of "box" meaning any order of the winning numbers will result in a win.
itoikenza
Could Someone tell me how to calculate any 8 digits, to two 4 digit combinations, with non of them repeating/conflicting except for the two 5's, such as

4589, 8945? the 8 digits I'm specifically interested in is 23455689?

please don't give just a formula, unless you can explain how to input on a standard calculator. thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
itoikenza said:
Could Someone tell me how to calculate any 8 digits, to two 4 digit combinations, with non of them repeating/conflicting except for the two 5's, such as

4589, 8945? the 8 digits I'm specifically interested in is 23455689?
You're going to have to be clearer. I have no idea whatsoever what you're trying to say here. None of this makes any sense to me.
itoikenza said:
please don't give just a formula, unless you can explain how to input on a standard calculator. thanks in advance...

Maybe someone else can figure this out, but I can't tell what you're asking. Are you given two 4 digit numbers? Do you want to do something with these two 4-digit numbers and come up with some 8-digit number? What are you trying to do?

Mark44 said:
You're going to have to be clearer. I have no idea whatsoever what you're trying to say here. None of this makes any sense to me.

At least I'm not the only one.

it's just a theory i have for nyc's win4. i noticed that a lot of the time these numbers

2,3,4,5,5,6,8,9 came up out of the various combos, in fact it came up the 2 most recent times.

http://nylottery.org/wps/portal/!ut...ttery/winning+numbers/win4pastwinning+numbers

08/16/2011 Midday 5-6-3-9
08/15/2011 Evening 8-2-9-6

http://www.endmemo.com/math/randomorder.php

this site helped, but I'm just too lazy to try all combos until it repeats. just tell me if it's 42(guess) times or what... and how to do the formula on a standard

calculator? Remember they must not repeat/conflict except for the two 5's... hope this makes sense now! Possible additions: 7-1-0

edit: 08/16/2011 Evening 5-4-9-6

See!
Am I Right or Am I Right? Just didn't play that combo today! Darn "2"...
scan0012.jpg

in case your wondering what "box" means, it's just that any order comprised of the winners wins...

Last edited:

To calculate any 8 digits to two 4 digit combinations, you can use a mathematical approach called permutation. This involves determining all possible arrangements of the given digits without any repetitions.

In the case of the given example, 23455689, there are 8 digits in total, with two 5's being the only repeating digits. This means that there are 7 unique digits to arrange (2,3,4,5,6,8,9).

To find all possible combinations, you can use the following formula: nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of digits and r is the number of digits in each combination.

In this case, n = 7 (since we are excluding the two 5's) and r = 4 (since we want two 4 digit combinations). Therefore, nPr = 7! / (7-4)! = 7! / 3! = 7*6*5 = 210.

This means that there are 210 possible combinations of the given 8 digits, without any repetitions. To find these combinations, you can use a standard calculator by entering the digits in a specific order.

For example, to find the first combination, you can enter the digits in the following order: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9. This will give you the combination 2345. To find the second combination, you can enter the digits in the following order: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 8. This will give you the combination 2346.

You can continue this process by rearranging the digits in different orders until you have found all 210 combinations. Just remember to exclude the two 5's and to enter the digits in the correct order.

I hope this helps you in understanding how to calculate any 8 digits to two 4 digit combinations. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do I calculate two 4 digit combinations from an 8 digit number?

To calculate two 4 digit combinations from an 8 digit number, you can use the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of digits (8) and r is the number of digits in each combination (4). This formula is known as the combination formula and can be used to determine the number of unique combinations possible from a given set of numbers.

2. Can I use a calculator to calculate the two 4 digit combinations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate the two 4 digit combinations. Most calculators have a combination function or a factorial function that can help you easily calculate the number of combinations. You can also use the basic multiplication and division functions to calculate the combinations yourself.

3. What if I want to calculate more than two 4 digit combinations from an 8 digit number?

If you want to calculate more than two 4 digit combinations from an 8 digit number, you can use the same formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of digits and r is the number of digits in each combination. You can substitute the values of n and r accordingly to calculate the desired number of combinations.

4. Is there a specific order to calculate the two 4 digit combinations from an 8 digit number?

No, there is no specific order to calculate the two 4 digit combinations from an 8 digit number. You can use the combination formula to calculate the total number of combinations, and then choose any two combinations from the list. The order of the combinations does not matter, as long as you choose two distinct combinations from the given set of numbers.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate combinations of numbers other than 8 digits?

Yes, you can use the combination formula to calculate combinations of numbers other than 8 digits. The formula can be used for any set of numbers, as long as you know the total number of digits and the number of digits in each combination. Just substitute the values of n and r accordingly to calculate the desired combinations.