Measuring the temperature of a combustion

In summary, Fredrik is looking to measure the peak temperatures of his combustions of hydrogen. He has no idea how to do so and is looking for ideas from the community.
SMD1990
I am not 100% certain this is the best place for this. Moderators, if you think a different board would be better, please relocate this. Anyway...

I am wanting to measure the peak temperatures of my combustions of hydrogen. I got to thinking, "If I am using air as the source of oxygen, then nitrogen is also present. Ergo, nitrogen oxides could be forming."

Problem is, I have no idea how to even go about measuring the peak temperatures achieved. It is such a brief thing. I cannot really even measure just how short the instantaneous little bangs are.

Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas? I can assume a certain number of Joules based on the amount of hydrogen. But I cannot measure the duration of a combustion, nor do I know of a way to measure the peak air temperature during it.

From what I have read, I need to keep it below 1540 degrees Celsius to avoid the production of oxides of nitrogen. I am guessing that using no more than a certain amount of hydrogen in a given time period will allow me to achieve such. Again, I do not know how to go about measuring just how high the temperature of the air is getting, so as to confirm such and set a limit.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just to clarify: seems like you are dealing with explosions, not continuous combustion (like in a burner)?

Yes. Quick explosions, not a continuous combustion.

I am ultimately looking to produce a succession of little pops.

Currently, I am thinking about 50 mL (at atmospheric pressure) per second. Should that result in peak temperatures in excess of about 1500° C, I will want to reduce it to whatever lesser amount is necessary.

The first idea that comes to my mind is real time thermal imaging camera, the same that's used for flame detection and similar? And then find a calibration to peak temp. However one would have to look at the spec to see what equilibration time is needed, I have no clue.

But there are some heat cameras that surely go up to 2000C and that at least give a framerate of 50Hz. But still 20ms is a large timeframe for an explosion :frown:

One company I know of is http://www.flir.com/thermography/eurasia/en/content/?id=32092

If this fails then maybe more subtle ideas are needed.

/Fredrik

Is it possible to calculate the peak temperature? And, if so, for calculating whether the N2 is getting hot enough to deprotonate, should I use the heat capacity of nitrogen, or that of air?

What is the most accurate method for measuring the temperature of a combustion?

The most accurate method for measuring the temperature of a combustion is through the use of a thermocouple. This device measures the electrical potential difference between two different metals, which is directly related to the temperature of the combustion.

Can I use a regular thermometer to measure the temperature of a combustion?

No, a regular thermometer is not suitable for measuring the temperature of a combustion. The extreme temperatures and high levels of heat can damage the thermometer and give inaccurate readings.

What is the recommended distance for placing a temperature measuring device near a combustion?

The recommended distance for placing a temperature measuring device near a combustion is at least 6 inches away. This allows for accurate readings without risking damage to the device.

What factors can affect the accuracy of temperature measurements in a combustion?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of temperature measurements in a combustion, including the type of fuel being burned, the amount of oxygen present, and any impurities in the fuel. It is important to calibrate the temperature measuring device regularly to ensure accurate readings.

How does the type of fuel affect the temperature of a combustion?

The type of fuel being burned can greatly affect the temperature of a combustion. Different fuels have different combustion temperatures, and some may produce more heat and therefore have higher temperatures than others. This is important to consider when selecting a temperature measuring device for a specific combustion process.