Is it advisable to take 3rd Bachelors program: BS Mathematics aft double major?

In summary, a student is questioning whether it is advisable to pursue a third Bachelor's program in Mathematics after completing a double major in Biotechnology and Chemistry. They have realized they are more interested in quantum chemistry but lack the necessary math background. They are unsure if they can work while studying mathematics and are concerned about the extra time and courses it may require. However, others suggest that self-study and a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra may be enough for success in quantum mechanics.
apigban
Chemists/Physicists: Is it advisable to take 3rd Bachelors program: BS Mathematics after first Double Major?

Well, my reason is that I ended up hating biotechnology (biochem in particular) and I'd like to see myself doing quantum chemistry (I'm a 5th year student of a Bachelor's program in Biotech and Chemistry). Can I take a mathematics degree while working? I am not quite familiar with the work of Chemists field/lab because I've not yet enrolled my On the job training course, so my question is: can you squeeze working while studying math?

I'm really quite confused because I finally found the field that I see myself in, however I know that I lack the knowledge in math to proceed to higher quantum chemistry.

As a fifth year student, I cannot take electives or minors in mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that if you take another math major, then you will have to stay in school for quite some extra time. No?

I don't think you need all that much math to succeed in quantum mechanics (on an undergrad level). You need calculus, linear algebra, and some DE's. These are topics that you can self-study...

While it is completely good to have a strong basis in differential equations, and linear algebra most of the calculations you do will be computational. Chemistry is about reactions so there will be statistical mechanics and simulations since it's pretty absurd to calculate the perturbations of 6 different wave functions on a hydrogen atom using analytic methods.

Last edited:

1. Is a third Bachelor's program necessary after completing a double major in BS Mathematics?

No, a third Bachelor's program is not necessary. A double major in BS Mathematics is already a valuable and comprehensive degree that can lead to many career options.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a third Bachelor's program after a double major in BS Mathematics?

Pursuing a third Bachelor's program can provide additional knowledge and skills in a specific subject area, making you more competitive in the job market or in graduate school applications. It can also open up new career opportunities.

3. Can I pursue a third Bachelor's program in a different field after a double major in BS Mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a third Bachelor's program in a different field after a double major in BS Mathematics. However, it is important to consider if the two fields are related and if the additional program will complement your skills and career goals.

4. Will a third Bachelor's program in BS Mathematics be more challenging after completing a double major in the same field?

It depends on the specific program and your individual capabilities. Some courses may overlap with your previous studies, making it less challenging. However, the program may also delve deeper into the subject matter, providing a more advanced and challenging learning experience.

5. Can I complete a third Bachelor's program in a shorter amount of time after a double major in BS Mathematics?

It is possible to complete a third Bachelor's program in a shorter amount of time, especially if the courses from your previous studies can be applied towards the new program. However, it ultimately depends on the specific program and your academic plan.