Solving Potter's Wheel Friction Problem

In summary, the problem involves a potter's wheel with a mass of 112 kg and a radius of 0.405 m, rotating at 48.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 5.67 s by exerting a radially inward force of 69.1 N with a wet rag. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and rag is 0.582, rounded to three significant figures. The correct moment of inertia for a thick solid disk is 0.5mr^2, not mr^2 as previously used.
check
So I'm doing an online homework problem:

A potter's wheel - a thick stone disk of radius 0.405 m and mass 112 kg - is freely rotating at 48.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 5.67 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 69.1 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and rag.

Round your answer to three significant figures.

[tex] f = \frac {I \omega_i}{r(\Delta t)} = \frac {(112 kg) (0.405 m^2)(48.0 rev/min)} {(0.405 m)(5.67 s)} \left(\frac{2\pi rad}{1 rev}\right) \left( \frac {1 min}{60 s}\right) = 40.2 N[/tex]

[tex] \mu_k = \frac {f}{n} = \frac {40.2}{69.1}=0.582 [/tex]

Trouble is, I keep getting "WRONG".

Am I doing it wrong? I also tried with different # of significant digits and nothin. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're using mr^2 for the moment of Inertia...which would work if it were a ring..

..however, the moment of Inertia of a thick solid disk is:

I = 0.5mr^2..

...hope that helps!

Right right right... ok, thanks. I just got it after I posted this. heh heh

1. What is Potter's Wheel Friction Problem?

Potter's Wheel Friction Problem is a common issue encountered by pottery makers where the clay on the wheel becomes too sticky, making it difficult to shape and mold.

2. What causes Potter's Wheel Friction Problem?

The main cause of this problem is the moisture content in the clay. If the clay is too wet, it will stick to the wheel and make it hard to work with.

3. How can I prevent Potter's Wheel Friction Problem?

To prevent this problem, it is important to properly prepare the clay by wedging it to remove air pockets and excess moisture. You can also add a small amount of water or clay lubricant to the wheel to reduce friction.

4. What are some solutions for solving Potter's Wheel Friction Problem?

One solution is to use a bat, which is a flat disc that can be placed on the wheel to create a smooth surface for the clay to stick to. Another solution is to use a wheel-head rubber, which is a thin rubber pad that can be placed on the wheel to reduce friction.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to Potter's Wheel Friction Problem?

Yes, other factors such as the speed of the wheel, the type of clay being used, and the humidity in the environment can also affect the level of friction on the potter's wheel. It is important to experiment and find the right balance of these factors to prevent the problem.