Calculate useful energy output ?

In summary, the question asks to calculate the velocity ratio and useful energy output for a hydraulic lifting frame system. The system is a third order lever with a hydraulic ram between the load and the fulcrum. By using the equation Feffort = Fload * dload/deffort, the force required to lift a mass up to 50kg can be calculated, with a work input of 3000J and distances of 5M and 1M.
Neil1985
I have a problem i am trying to solve, the question is;
Calculate the velocity ratio for this system. If the work put in is 3000J, calculate the useful energy output.
The system in question is a Hydraulic lifting frame upon which crates are placed.
It is lifted with a hydraulic ram which is located between the load and the fulcrum, thus making this system the third order of lever.
The distance from the load to the effort is 5M and the distance from the effort to the fulcrum is 1M.

LOAD--------(5M)------I---(1M)---o (pivot)

I = Hydraulic ram.

(i apologize for the poor diagram!) Thank you in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neil1985 said:
If the work put in is 3000J, calculate the useful energy output.

The distance from the load to the effort is 5M and the distance from the effort to the fulcrum is 1M.

LOAD--------(5M)------I---(1M)---o (pivot)

I = Hydraulic ram.

Using Feffort = Fload * dload/deffort and solving for Fload we get Fload = Feffort * de/dl

and subbing in the distances and applied (effort) force we get
Fload = 3000J * 1/6 = 500J so you be able to lift masses up to about 50kg

What is useful energy output?

Useful energy output refers to the amount of energy that can be used to perform a desired task or function. It is the energy output that is actually put to use, as opposed to the total energy output which may include energy that is wasted or lost.

How do you calculate useful energy output?

The formula for calculating useful energy output is: Useful Energy Output = Total Energy Input - Energy Wasted or Lost. This means that you subtract the amount of energy that is wasted or lost from the total energy input to determine the useful energy output.

What is the difference between useful energy output and efficiency?

Useful energy output and efficiency are related concepts, but they are not the same thing. Efficiency measures the percentage of energy that is used to perform a desired task, while useful energy output measures the actual amount of energy that is used for that task.

Why is it important to calculate useful energy output?

Calculating useful energy output is important because it allows us to understand how much energy is actually being used for a specific task or function. This information can help us identify areas where energy is being wasted and make improvements to increase efficiency.

What factors can affect the calculation of useful energy output?

The calculation of useful energy output can be affected by various factors such as the efficiency of the system or device, environmental conditions, and human error. It is important to consider these factors when calculating and interpreting useful energy output.