How many of you will go trick-or-treating with your kids?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary: I'm not sure, but it sounds like it might be because people are afraid of the consequences. I don't think I would let my kids go trick-or-treating alone, but I don't think it would be very fun if I was there with them.I'm not sure, but it sounds like it might be because people are afraid of the consequences. I don't think I would let my kids go trick-or-treating alone, but I don't think it would be very fun if I was there with them.

Will you go trick-or-treating with your kids?

• Yep, me and my spouse.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes I will.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No, I don't do it.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No. Halloween is Satanic. (Yes, there are religions that believe that.)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
moonman239
Just curious to see how many of you will do the whole trick-or-treating thing with your kids. Also, (though this may be a better question for the Statistics forum) does anyone know how many families in the state of California go trick-or-treating?

Physics news on Phys.org
I definitely would take my daughter trick-or-treating! But, she's 19 now, so she will likely object.

lisab said:
I definitely would take my daughter trick-or-treating! But, she's 19 now, so she will likely object.
:rofl:

Perhaps you should have worded it - how many of you that have small children will take them trick or treating?

If I had small kids and if I lived in america, then I would certainly go trick-or-treating with my kids. It sounds like great fun :tongue2:

When my daughter was that age I always took her trick or treating. I'd even dress up myself.

When I was a kid, I went trick-or-treating with my friends. We would have considered it a drag to have our parents along with us, nor did my parents think of it. Maybe they went with me the first time. We lived in a traditional walkable small-city neighborhood of single-family houses with sidewalks, away from major traffic arteries, so we didn't need to be driven around. Nor was there nearly as much concern about crime and personal safety as there is today.

Evo said:
:rofl:
You ARE still trick-or-treating with Evo Child, aren't you?

Where is "what is trick-or-treating?" option?

arildno said:
You ARE still trick-or-treating with Evo Child, aren't you?
shhhhh! She doesn't know it's me lurking behind her.

:blushing:
Borek said:
lol!

Borek said:

Trick or treating is something that happens on halloween. Little brats beg for food and if you don't give it to them, they trash your house, your yard, and your car. Or, if you don't give them enough food, or you give them food they don't like (such as frozen broccoli), they trash your house, your yard, and your car. Or, if they don't like you (because you happen to be their parents), they trash your house, your yard, and your car.

And, just in case you don't know what halloween is, it's the best night of the year for your girlfriend to dump you. The next morning you wake up kind of depressed about breaking up, but thinking you'll somehow find the strength to go on, only to find that during the night, someone trashed your house, your yard, and your car.

This guy explains it all in a way most PF members can understand, seeing as how he seems to be even more inept at relationships than most of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ivu5fLWBpc

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
shhhhh! She doesn't know it's me lurking behind her.

:blushing:
I'll rephrase Shakespeare:
"Seal up my lips and give no words but mum."

Both my wife and I will accompany the kids. I am not dressing up. My son asked me if I wanted to go as a cow... that is what he came up for me...

Norman said:
Both my wife and I will accompany the kids. I am not dressing up. My son asked me if I wanted to go as a cow... that is what he came up for me...
Aww, come on, be a cow!

Norman said:

You and your wife should be a cow! You can flip a coin to see who gets to be the head...

you rarely see a trick-or-treater here anymore. they mostly go to planned halloween events. everyone just got too afraid, and once some orgs and churches picked up the slack, the routine has changed.

Last year, Halloween was on the same night as a world series game. No kids were out except for ours. Eerie, and kind of a downer. It was also cold and dreary. On the plus side, we ended up with a heck of a lot of chocolate!

Chi Meson said:
Last year, Halloween was on the same night as a world series game. No kids were out except for ours. Eerie, and kind of a downer. It was also cold and dreary. On the plus side, we ended up with a heck of a lot of chocolate!

Yum. What did you do with all that chocolate?

moonman239 said:
Yum. What did you do with all that chocolate?

We're saving for the post-rapture holocaust.

My wife works that night and I'll be out of the town that day, but hopefully I'll fly back in time to take my daughter out with her 2 cousins. She wants to be a "Spy Girl", whatever the heck that is. :-)

Why is there no option to go trick-or-treating without kids?

Until my daughter got too old, I always went trick or treating with her.

Also, I echo that when I was a kid it was mostly unheard of for parents to accompany kids trick or treating (unless they were very young).

I do recall a few nasty incidents, even then: someone tossing an apple with a lit firecracker in it into some other kids treat bag; and mischief that included tipping over telephone booths (you remember (or don't))- the old all glass kind; they had an accessible resonance, so even a kid pushing repeatedly with proper timing could get them swinging enough to tip over and shatter).

Our kids are of such vastly different ages and abilities that it's a painful experience.

Our neighborhood also doesn't have sidewalks and relegates the responsibility to a few streets that are closed off that host Halloween. Note in this situation, however, that it becomes embarrassing: a lot of the adults are also dressed up (some inappropriately for the presence of children)... and many of them are openly drinking. Very strange, and I'm not sure how the neighborhood gets away with this (except that we rent a house in what is mostly the "rich"/"snobby" neighborhood that might be cutting some deals by paying some police officers to be out and about).

We made a deal this year with our middle child (M), who cares about Halloween the most (because of the copious quantities of unregulated candy it generates), that if he was old enough to start shaving off his developing "mustache" (a source of some apparent teasing at middle school) he was also therefore too old to trick or treat.

P doesn't care (the experience is frustrating... costumes are uncomfortable, his electric chair isn't really safe on streets and can't make it up porch steps to front doors).

Lastly: E is too little. She can wear last years glow-in-the-dark "skeleton PJs" and help me give out candy to the few who might arrive at the door... thinking the pickings are good in the rich hood (but being sorely deceived because of the relocation of the hood's own activities)... and eat the remainder.

physics girl phd said:
We made a deal this year with our middle child (M), who cares about Halloween the most (because of the copious quantities of unregulated candy it generates), that if he was old enough to start shaving off his developing "mustache" (a source of some apparent teasing at middle school) he was also therefore too old to trick or treat.

You are being too strict on him.

Perhaps you should add a word of comfort like once he has grown a beard like Edward Teach, he can trick-or-treat again and be a real terror in the streets..

I have a plan to deal with the kids that come to my house.

[PLAIN]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318329_266097176767573_100001018781099_798196_1365795832_n.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and I will dress up, and I will eat my two year olds candy too.

physics girl phd said:
Our kids are of such vastly different ages and abilities that it's a painful experience.

Our neighborhood also doesn't have sidewalks and relegates the responsibility to a few streets that are closed off that host Halloween. Note in this situation, however, that it becomes embarrassing: a lot of the adults are also dressed up (some inappropriately for the presence of children)... and many of them are openly drinking. Very strange, and I'm not sure how the neighborhood gets away with this (except that we rent a house in what is mostly the "rich"/"snobby" neighborhood that might be cutting some deals by paying some police officers to be out and about).

P doesn't care (the experience is frustrating... costumes are uncomfortable, his electric chair isn't really safe on streets and can't make it up porch steps to front doors).

Lastly: E is too little. She can wear last years glow-in-the-dark "skeleton PJs" and help me give out candy to the few who might arrive at the door... thinking the pickings are good in the rich hood (but being sorely deceived because of the relocation of the hood's own activities)... and eat the remainder.
Do the shopping malls in your area sponsor treak or treat? They do here. All kids can easily participate and ususually have a costume contest if you want to enter. The candy is safe, the area is safe, it's handicap accessible.

Pythagorean said:
Yes, and I will dress up, and I will eat my two year olds candy too.

:approve: My style of parenting too haha.

To get even further into the spirit, so to speak, we had a rather elaborate haunted house in the garage a few times. In years when we didn't have time to do that, I'd dress up really creepy and scare the bejesus out of kids coming up to the house.

I have no idea why that was so darn much fun to me :biggrin:.

The township I lived in near Northern Detroit hosted a trick-or-treat event in one of the parks. It's a rural area, so there's not really any neighborhoods - this was where all of the kids came. Even though I don't have kids, I would often go and host a friend's spot so they could take their kids around (they called it 'Trunk or treat' since it was basically tail-gating treat stands).

lisab said:
I'd dress up really creepy and scare the bejesus out of kids coming up to the house.

Sounds like a good idea.

I remember when I was a kid one halloween and this guy had a mummy sitting on his front porch with a bowl of candy in his lap. Well, the guy WAS the mummy. Best scare ever.

micromass said:
If I had small kids and if I lived in america, then I would certainly go trick-or-treating with my kids. It sounds like great fun :tongue2:
LOL! I could just imagine micro being Rick Astley for Halloween. Then have a stereo around him and playing his hit when they answer the door.

As for me, I have no kids and I am too old for trick or treating. I am planning to have an outfit. I will be Anonymous with the Guy Fawke's mask and the suit. Oh yea! x)

Hootenanny said:
Why is there no option to go trick-or-treating without kids?

Yeah! A couple of years ago some guys from Lehman Brothers came by. I gave them each a dime and told them to put it in a bank.

physics girl phd said:

arildno said:
You are being too strict on him.

He's actually okay with it. I think he's a bit relieved to not repeat the "candy-vomiting" experience of last year (when he went with a friend and stayed the night at the friend's house, eating his entire bag of candy and probably literally bouncing off the walls... until, that is, the candy came back up :yuck: ).

1. How do you determine the appropriate age for trick-or-treating?

The appropriate age for trick-or-treating can vary depending on personal beliefs and cultural traditions. However, most children typically start trick-or-treating around the age of 4 or 5.

2. Is trick-or-treating safe for children?

Trick-or-treating can be a safe activity for children if proper precautions are taken. It is important for parents to accompany young children, choose well-lit and familiar neighborhoods, and check all candy before consumption.

3. What are some alternative options for trick-or-treating?

Some alternative options for trick-or-treating include attending community Halloween events, hosting a Halloween party at home, or participating in a trunk-or-treat event at a local church or school.

4. How can I make trick-or-treating more environmentally friendly?

To make trick-or-treating more environmentally friendly, consider using reusable bags or containers instead of plastic bags, choosing eco-friendly and non-toxic decorations, and opting for homemade or locally sourced treats.

5. How can I ensure my child's costume is safe for trick-or-treating?

To ensure your child's costume is safe for trick-or-treating, make sure it is flame-resistant, fits properly to prevent tripping, and has reflective elements for visibility. It is also important to avoid masks that obstruct vision and choose non-toxic face paint instead.