Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror

In summary, the forum member correctly solves for V_{CMmin} in a circuit with a current mirror acting as the current source. The voltage V_{CS} is replaced by the voltage V_{DS3}, and the computation of V_{DS3} is correct. The KVL equation is also correctly written, resulting in a solution of V_{CMmin} = 0V. It is noted that in this specific circuit, V_{DS3} can be considered equal to V_{S} + V_{SS}.
jegues

Homework Statement

See first figure attached for problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved everything in this circuit, I just have some confusion about solving [tex]V_{CMmin}[/tex] when I have a current mirror acting as my current source connected to the sources of Q1 and Q2.

Usually when I have this setup with an ideal current source instead of a current mirror I can solve for [tex]V_{CMmin}[/tex] by writing a KVL from the common mode input down to the -Vss.

Like so,

[tex]V_{CMmin} = V_{GS} + V_{CS} - V_{SS}[/tex]

Where [tex]V_{CS}[/tex] is the minimum voltage required across the current source.

(See 2nd figure attached for example)

How do I do this now with my current mirror in place?

It looks as though my [tex]"V_{CS}"[/tex] is going to be replaced by the voltage [tex]V_{DS3}.[/tex]

Computing [tex]V_{DS3}[/tex],

First note that,

[tex]V_{GS} = -V_{S}[/tex]

Where [tex]V_{S}[/tex] is the voltage at the source of Q1 and Q2.

[tex]-V_{S} - V_{t} = V_{ov}[/tex]

[tex]V_{S} = -V_{ov} - V_{t} = -0.7V[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]V_{DS3} = V_{S} + V_{SS} = 0.5V[/tex]

Now writing my KVL,

[tex]V_{CMmin} = V_{GS} + V_{DS3} - V_{SS} = 0V[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure if my reasoning is correct so if somebody could point out any mistakes or confusions I'm having it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Q8.6.JPG
    Q8.6.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 440
  • Q8.6Vcmmin.JPG
    Q8.6Vcmmin.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach to solving for V_{CMmin} with a current mirror in place is correct. The voltage V_{CS} is indeed replaced by the voltage V_{DS3}, which is the voltage across the current source of the current mirror. Your computation of V_{DS3} is also correct. Your KVL equation is also correct, and you have correctly solved for V_{CMmin} as 0V.

One thing to note is that the voltage V_{DS3} is not necessarily equal to V_{S} + V_{SS} as you have written. V_{S} is the voltage at the source of Q1 and Q2, while V_{DS3} is the voltage across the current source of the current mirror. These two voltages may not be equal, as the current mirror may have a different output impedance than the ideal current source. However, in this specific circuit, the output impedance of the current mirror is large enough that V_{DS3} can be considered equal to V_{S} + V_{SS}.

Overall, your solution is correct and your reasoning is sound. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a "Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror"?

A "Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror" is a type of electronic circuit component used in amplifiers and other electronic devices. It is made up of two metal-oxide-semiconductor (MOS) transistors and a current mirror, which helps to amplify and control the input signal.

2. How does a "Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror" work?

The two MOS transistors in the circuit are arranged in a differential pair configuration, meaning that the input signal is split into two paths. The current mirror helps to maintain a constant current in the transistors, which allows for greater amplification and control of the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a "Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror"?

There are several advantages to using this type of circuit component, including high gain and low distortion, as well as good common mode rejection ratio (CMRR) and temperature stability. It also allows for a wide range of input common mode voltages.

4. Where are "Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror" circuits commonly used?

These circuits are commonly used in audio amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, and other electronic devices that require high precision and low distortion.

5. How can I optimize the performance of a "Min. Common Mode Input MOS Diff Pair with Current Mirror" circuit?

To optimize the performance of this type of circuit, it is important to choose high-quality components and to carefully design the layout of the circuit. Proper biasing and current mirror design are also crucial for achieving optimal performance.