What are the frequency bounds of waves from sine wave additive synthesis?

In summary, when adding waves of a given frequency with the same phase, the resulting wave will have the same frequency. This is similar to adding complex numbers, where the phase factor is the only determining factor. The concept of frequency can be understood through the use of the Fourier transform, which is a linear operation. Therefore, adding two functions in the time domain results in adding their Fourier transforms in the frequency domain. This means that no new frequencies are created when adding waves. In the given scenario, starting with a frequency range of 100-200hz and adding waves will result in a final wave within the same frequency range.
hotwheelharry
Hello,

If I can make any number of waves (n) all with the same phase but all within a frequency range of 100-200hz, what are the ranges of frequencies I can make when adding them?

So would I be able to make a wave with frequency 400hz, or 25hz, using additive synthesis and these constraints? Then, if so, how do I calculate what the exact range I could make is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Old frequencies do not beget new frequencies.

When you add waves of a given frequency, you only get waves of the same frequency. It's like adding complex numbers. It's just the phase factor that counts.

How do you make sense of frequency? Fourier transform. Fourier transform is linear. So, if you add two functions, you add the Fourier transforms to see what happens in the frequency domain. If some frequency component is zero for two functions, then it will be zero for their sum. Addition doesn't give you any new frequencies.

So if you start with a frequency range of 100-200hz, by adding things, you stay within 100-200hz.

Oh, you made it clear with the Fourier transform sections being 0. I knew you could make a square wave with infinity frequencies added but I guess the frequency of that saw is just the lowest frequency added in the sum. Thanks for the response.

1. What is sine wave additive synthesis?

Sine wave additive synthesis is a method of creating complex waveforms by adding together multiple sine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes. It is commonly used in electronic music and sound synthesis.

2. What are frequency bounds?

Frequency bounds refer to the range of frequencies that can be produced by a particular system or process. In the case of sine wave additive synthesis, it refers to the highest and lowest frequencies that can be created by adding together multiple sine waves.

3. How are frequency bounds determined in sine wave additive synthesis?

The frequency bounds in sine wave additive synthesis are determined by the range of frequencies and amplitudes of the individual sine waves used in the synthesis process. The highest frequency will be determined by the upper limit of the individual sine waves, while the lowest frequency will be determined by the lower limit.

4. What factors can affect the frequency bounds in sine wave additive synthesis?

The frequency bounds in sine wave additive synthesis can be affected by several factors, including the number and range of frequencies used in the synthesis, the quality of the sine waves, and any external effects or distortions introduced during the synthesis process.

5. Are there any limitations to the frequency bounds in sine wave additive synthesis?

Yes, there are limitations to the frequency bounds in sine wave additive synthesis. These limitations can vary depending on the specific system or process being used. In some cases, the upper and lower frequency bounds may be limited by the capabilities of the equipment, while in others, they may be limited by the human ear's ability to perceive certain frequencies.