How much does it cost to run 300 school buses for 22 days?

In summary, the problem asked for the cost of running 300 school buses for 22 school days, given that each bus is used for 3 hours each day at an average speed of 15 mi/h and a fuel economy of 10 mi/gal, with gasoline costing $1.20 a gallon. After finding the cost to run one bus for a day, the total cost for 300 buses for one day is calculated to be $1620. Therefore, the total cost for 22 school days would be $35,640. The book's answer of $1200 does not match the calculations and is most likely incorrect.
samona

Homework Statement

A large school district has 300 school buses. If each school bus is used 3 hours each day, the average speed of the school buses is 15 mi/h, and the fuel economy of the buses is 10 mi/gal. How much does it cost to run these buses in 22 school days if gasoline costs $1.20 a gallon?

2. The attempt at a solution

I've been trying to figure out this problem for hours now. This is what I've done, but the book says I'm incorrect.

My attempt:

Find out what it costs to run one bus a day.

3 hrs/day x 15 mi/hr x 1gal/10mi x $1.20/gal = $5.40 per day for 1 bus.

There are 300 buses, so $5.40 x 300 = $1620 for 300 buses.

The problem asks the cost for running the buses for 22 school days, $1620 * 22 = $35,640.

My final answer is that it would cost $35,640 to run 300 buses for 22 days. Please help me figure out where I am going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis looks good to me. What does the book say is the right answer?

Thanks for the quick response. The answer seems to be $216.

I think that $216 can't possibly be the right answer to the problem you posed. Are you sure you copied it correctly?

I'll double check when I get home tonight. I appreciate your help!

Sorry for the late response. Book has the answer as $1200.

Your $35640 matches my calc exactly!

1. How do I convert units in physics?

To convert units in physics, you can use unit conversion factors or dimensional analysis. First, identify the units you have and the units you want to convert to. Then, use conversion factors to cancel out the unwanted units and calculate the desired units.

2. What is the difference between SI and Imperial units?

SI (International System of Units) is a modern version of the metric system and is used in most scientific fields, including physics. Imperial units, on the other hand, are a traditional system of measurement used primarily in the United States and other English-speaking countries.

3. Can I convert between different types of units, such as length and mass?

No, you cannot convert between different types of units. Each type of unit measures a specific physical quantity and cannot be converted into another type of unit. For example, you cannot convert meters (length) into kilograms (mass).

4. How do I convert scientific notation into standard notation?

To convert from scientific notation to standard notation, move the decimal point to the right or left, depending on the exponent. If the exponent is positive, move the decimal point to the right the number of times indicated by the exponent. If the exponent is negative, move the decimal point to the left the number of times indicated by the absolute value of the exponent.

5. Is there an easy way to remember the conversion factors for common units?

Yes, there are several tricks and mnemonic devices you can use to remember common unit conversion factors. For example, to convert from meters to kilometers, remember that there are 1000 meters in 1 kilometer, so you can move the decimal point 3 places to the left. Another trick is to use the acronym "King Henry Died By Drinking Chocolate Milk" to remember the order of metric prefixes (kilo, hecto, deca, base, deci, centi, milli).