Finding Mass through Stoichiometry of Ethanol in a chemical equation

In summary, the conversation is about determining the mass of 100% ethanol, the expected amount of ethanol from an 18% glucose solution, and how to calculate the amount of other substances generated in a fermentation reaction. The given information includes the fermentation equation, the molecular weight and density of ethanol, and the concentration of glucose in a 2% solution. The individual is unsure of how to approach the problem and is asking for help.
iHate Physics

Homework Statement

1) What is the mass of 100% Ethanol?
2) How much ethanol would be expected from 18% glucose solution?
3) What else will be generated? How can we calculate this amount?

Given:

Fermentation Equation:

C6H12O6(aq) + 2C2H5OH(aq) + 2CO2(g) + Heat
(glucose) (ethanol) (carbon dioxide) Molecular Weight of Ethanol = 46.7 g/mol
Density of Ethanol = 0.789 g/cm3
2% glucose solution contains 20g/L of glucose

Homework Equations

D=M/V

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm not sure where to start to attempt this question. A friend of mine sent me this question last night for her assignment and I was stumped. I just wanted to know if someone could help explain how I could find the mass of ethanol with only the variables given to me. I've asked my friend and she keeps insisting there were no other variables. I haven't touched chemistry in years and was just wondering if someone could refresh my memory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how do you find an extensive variable from an intensive variable?

lol tell him he is missing some info

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between substances in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you find the mass of ethanol in a chemical equation?

To find the mass of ethanol in a chemical equation, you need to use stoichiometry to calculate the moles of ethanol present in the reaction, and then convert the moles to grams using the molar mass of ethanol.

3. What is the chemical equation for the reaction involving ethanol?

The chemical equation for the reaction involving ethanol is C2H5OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O.

4. What information do you need to solve for the mass of ethanol in a chemical equation?

To solve for the mass of ethanol in a chemical equation, you will need the balanced chemical equation, the initial mass or moles of the other reactants and products, and the molar mass of ethanol.

5. What are the steps to solve for the mass of ethanol using stoichiometry?

Step 1: Write and balance the chemical equation.Step 2: Determine the moles of the other reactants and products.Step 3: Use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to calculate the moles of ethanol.Step 4: Convert the moles of ethanol to grams using its molar mass.Step 5: Check your answer and make sure it is in the correct units.