Approximation theory problem: show nonexistence of best approximation

In summary, the problem is asking for a function f that satisfies the condition that for any chosen a in the set A, there exists another a' in A where the maximum difference between f(x) and a'(x) is smaller than the maximum difference between f(x) and a'(x), where the max is taken over all x in the set S. The poster is stuck on how to choose such a function and is unable to provide an attempt at a solution yet.
Reverberant

Homework Statement

Problem 1.8 here (Link to Google books)
Clarification: C[0,1] are the continuous functions on the interval [0,1] and let S denote the set of points in the problem, as it is stated (can't tell if it's a S or a P in the book).

Homework Equations

Have I understood the problem correctly, if I say that one way to solve the problem would be to choose the function f such that regardless of what a in A I choose, I can always find another a=a' in A such that max|f(x)-a'(x)| is smaller than max|f(x)-a'(x)| (where the max is taken over all x in S). How do I go about choosing such a function f? What should I be thinking about? This is where I'm stuck, so I'm afraid that I can't post any attempt at a solution yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionNo attempt at a solution yet, as I'm stuck on how to choose the function f.

1. What is approximation theory?

Approximation theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding approximations or estimates for complex functions or data sets. It is used to simplify complex problems and make them more manageable for analysis and computation.

2. What is the best approximation?

The best approximation is the closest possible approximation to a given function or data set within a specified range. It is considered the most accurate estimate and is often used in practical applications where a perfect solution is not feasible.

3. How is the nonexistence of best approximation proven?

The nonexistence of best approximation is proven by showing that there is no single approximation that is closest to the function or data set at all points within the specified range. This can be done through mathematical proofs or by demonstrating that the approximations become increasingly inaccurate as the range becomes smaller.

4. What are some real-world applications of approximation theory?

Approximation theory has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used to model and predict complex physical phenomena, design efficient algorithms, and analyze large data sets, among other things.

5. Can approximation theory be used in conjunction with other mathematical methods?

Yes, approximation theory often works in tandem with other mathematical methods such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistical analysis. It can also be combined with numerical methods to find more accurate solutions to complex problems.