Finding X and Y with respect to third variable if having two sets of X and Y

In summary, the conversation discusses finding Y values for different X values at different temperatures. The speaker suggests using polynomial equations to find the relationship between temperature and Y values, as well as temperature and X values separately. They also suggest renaming Y and X as Y1 and Y2 respectively to avoid confusion.
kunju
My problem

At temperature 5 degrees the Y=1.00228594 for X=435 and Y=1.000986038 for X=449 and Y=0.999760292 for X=463

At temperature 7 degrees the Y=1.002094781 for X=435 and Y=1.00079709 for X=449 and Y=0.999573015 for X =463

For a new temperature of 9.6 degrees how to find the Y values for different X values

I find a polynomial eqn for the first set of X and Y values , then I find a polynomial eqn for the second set of X and Y values in excel. How can i find a polynomial for a different temp in excel

help me out

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I follow when you say you find a polynomial for the first set...

What's Y? What's X? Are they independent from each other? Is temperature the only independent variable?

I think all you need to do is find a curve fit for Y alone based on T, and then you find a curve fit for X based on T; then, you will have two curves, functions Y(T) and X(T).

So, just because you name Y Y and X X does not mean they should be your X,Y coordinates.

So, maybe you need to think of your Y as Y1 and your X as Y2 and your T as X and so you will have Y1(X) and Y2(X)

does this help?

1. What is the purpose of finding X and Y with respect to a third variable?

The purpose of finding X and Y with respect to a third variable is to determine if there is a relationship or correlation between the two sets of variables. By examining the relationship between X and Y while considering the effect of a third variable, we can gain a better understanding of the underlying factors that may be influencing the relationship.

2. How do you determine which variable is X and which is Y?

This is dependent on the nature of the study and the variables being examined. Generally, X is considered the independent variable, meaning it is the variable that is manipulated or controlled by the researcher. Y is considered the dependent variable, meaning it is the outcome or result that is affected by the independent variable.

3. What is the process for finding X and Y with respect to a third variable?

The process for finding X and Y with respect to a third variable involves conducting statistical analyses, such as regression or correlation, to examine the relationship between the variables. This may also involve controlling for the third variable by including it in the analysis or conducting separate analyses for different levels of the third variable.

4. Can you provide an example of finding X and Y with respect to a third variable?

Sure, let's say we are interested in examining the relationship between exercise (X) and weight loss (Y), while considering the effect of age (third variable). We could conduct a correlation analysis to see if there is a relationship between exercise and weight loss, while controlling for age. We could also conduct separate analyses for different age groups to see if the relationship between exercise and weight loss differs based on age.

5. What are the potential limitations of finding X and Y with respect to a third variable?

One limitation is that correlation does not necessarily imply causation, so we cannot definitively say that the third variable is causing the relationship between X and Y. Additionally, there may be other variables that are influencing the relationship that are not accounted for in the analysis. It is also important to consider the sample size and potential biases in the data when interpreting the results.