Thermally conductive fabric

• Thread starter privitmj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fabric
In summary, you can use a thermally conductive woven material, such as aramid or carbon fiber, to evenly distribute heat from a nichrome coil to an epoxy material 5" away. Just make sure to check the temperature rating and find a material that fits your budget.
privitmj
Thermally conductive "fabric"

Hello, I'm trying to build a custom infrared heating panel. The top manufacturers of these things claim to cover their heating elements with "Quartz woven fabric" which I am assuming is a thermally conductive, non electrically conductive material. Basically what I'm trying to do is evenly distrubute heat from a wound nichrome coil to an epoxy about 5" away from the heating surface. Some more detail: The heater size is 16"x16" and the epoxy cures at about 350F. Some claim that the bare coiled heater element will unevenly cure the epoxy. So I guess my real question is: Is there some sort of thermally conductive "fabric" that I can place over my heating element to achieve this effect? I'm looking at about 1500 watts (120V) as far as a heating element goes.

One company uses black Ceran (cooking top glass) to cover the element. My background is in electrical engineering so I've been trying to find such a product that appears to be a thermally conductive cloth.

One extra comment is that price is a factor. I can buy a heater element with this magical fabric for $150 and all it is is a nichrome coil, "magical cloth", and lead wires.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm trying to do this on the cheap so if I can find a thermally conductive fabric at a reasonable price I'd be more than happy to use it instead of buying one of those expensive heaters. I hope this has been helpful! One option that you could look into is using a thermally conductive woven material such as aramid or carbon fiber. These materials are designed to be light-weight, flexible and have good thermal conductivity properties. They can also be cut and sewn to your desired dimensions. You would need to ensure that the material is rated for the temperature you intend to use (up to 350F in your case). Additionally, these materials can be found in various price points, so you should be able to find something within your budget.

1. What is thermally conductive fabric?

Thermally conductive fabric is a type of textile that has been designed to efficiently transfer heat. It is made up of materials that have high thermal conductivity, such as metals or carbon fibers, and can be used for a variety of applications such as insulation, heating, and cooling.

2. How does thermally conductive fabric work?

Thermally conductive fabric works by allowing heat to pass through it quickly and evenly. The materials used in the fabric have a high thermal conductivity, which means they can efficiently transfer heat from one point to another. This helps to regulate temperature and keep objects or people warm or cool.

3. What are the benefits of using thermally conductive fabric?

Some potential benefits of using thermally conductive fabric include improved insulation, increased energy efficiency, and better temperature control. This type of fabric can also be lightweight and flexible, making it suitable for a wide range of applications such as in clothing, electronics, and construction materials.

4. How is thermally conductive fabric different from traditional fabrics?

Traditional fabrics, such as cotton or polyester, are typically not designed to be thermally conductive. They may insulate and retain heat, but they do not actively transfer heat like thermally conductive fabric. Additionally, thermally conductive fabric may be made up of different materials, such as metals or carbon fibers, that have high thermal conductivity.

5. What are some common uses for thermally conductive fabric?

Thermally conductive fabric can be used for a variety of purposes, including insulation in buildings and homes, as a heating element in clothing or heated blankets, in electronic devices for thermal management, and in medical applications such as heating pads for muscle pain relief. It is also being explored for use in renewable energy technologies, such as solar panels, to improve efficiency.