Can a MOSFET be used to vary frequency in a function generator?

In summary, there are several options for building a function generator. You can use a NE555 astable timer and vary the frequency by varying the capacitor, or use a 7474 D-type flip flop to maintain a 50% duty cycle. Another option is to use an Intersil ICL 8038 chip, which can provide sine, triangle, and square wave outputs. These chips require a power source with positive and negative voltages and may need to be calibrated for accurate frequency generation. Alternatively, you can use a direct digital synthesizer chip with a microcontroller for configuration. Another possibility is to use a computer with audio output and a software program for generating the desired waveform.
lcr2139
I am trying to build a function generator and I am unsure of how to build a circuit to vary frequency. Would I use a MOSFET? Can someone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a NE555 astable timer. See http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm#astable . If you need to keep the same duty cycle as you vary the frequency, then varying the capacitor is best. If you want a 50% duty cycle, then divide the NE555 output by 2 with a 7474 D-type flip flop, which would then permit varying a resistor to vary frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an old function generator chip, called an Intersil ICL 8038. They are rare in Electronics stores, but Ebay sites have a few of them.

Here is a source of them:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-IC-ICL8038CCPD-INTERSIL-DIP-14-/260968264013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc2ebb14d

These can provide sine, triangle and square wave output over the audio range and above.

Google for circuits of these chips.
Here is one:
http://www.eleccircuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/waveform-generator-with-icl8038.jpg

They are relatively simple to use but they need a power source with positive and negative voltages.

And you would need some way of calibrating it so that you would know what frequency was being generated. Look for a circuit with a digital display.

They also make direct digitial synthesization chips. I know maxim makes one. I think this method is filling the space where analog waveform chips have begun to be obsolete or at least to not be manufactured anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_digital_synthesizer

You would most likely want to use it with a microcontroller, since they can be configured over serial links like a uart, i2c, or spi.

1. What is a function generator?

A function generator is an electronic device that is used to generate various types of electrical waveforms, such as sine, square, triangle, and sawtooth waves. It is commonly used in laboratories and engineering fields for testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

2. How does a function generator work?

A function generator works by using a signal generator and a frequency synthesizer to produce a desired waveform. The signal generator creates a basic waveform, while the frequency synthesizer adjusts the frequency and amplitude of the waveform to produce a specific type of waveform.

3. What are the key components of a function generator?

The key components of a function generator include a waveform generator, frequency and amplitude controls, an output amplifier, and a display unit. Some function generators may also have additional features such as modulation capabilities and multiple output channels.

4. What are the applications of a function generator?

A function generator has a wide range of applications in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and medical equipment testing. It is commonly used for testing and calibrating electronic circuits, as well as in research and development for designing and testing new circuits and systems.

5. How do I choose the right function generator?

When choosing a function generator, it is important to consider the types of waveforms and frequency ranges that you will need for your specific application. You should also consider the accuracy and stability of the output, as well as any additional features that may be useful for your work. It is recommended to research and compare different models before making a purchase.