Differential Readings upon Reversing Polarity on MEMS Gyroscope

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of reversing the current in a MEMS gyroscope. It is mentioned that this could potentially damage the chip, and that most MEMS gyroscopes operate on a specific voltage supply. It is also noted that reversing the current in a MEMS gyroscope could result in alternating current in both directions, as these gyroscopes typically operate using vibrating or resonating structures.
Free Radical
Hi, y'all;

This will likely be a simply question for most of you, but I am still something of a neophyte (yes, yes, starting off with the whole education thing in my 30's -- egad!) but if I were to reverse the current running through a MEMS gyroscope, what would be the outcome in the figures it returns -- both digital and analog?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the question.

First, a MEMS chip is designed to run on a specific voltage supply, and so reversing current would probably damage it. There is a "front end" or interface section of these chips that interpret the signal from the MEMS structure and send it out in a format you can easily interface to.

Secondly, most MEMS gyroscopes are vibrating/resonating structures, and so I would guess the current would be AC and go in both positive and negative directions on each cycle. The one I'm thinking of in particular is used in trucks to detect if a truck is tipping over, and this one has 4 wings rotating around an axis at a resonant frequency, and as the angular momentum changes the wings fall out of resonance (Q factor changes). In order for the wings to resonate, you probably want to drive them with an oscillator that will have alternating current in both directions.

1. What is a MEMS gyroscope?

A MEMS gyroscope is a type of sensor that measures angular velocity or rotation. It is a microelectromechanical system (MEMS) device that uses the principles of capacitive sensing to detect changes in rotation.

2. How does a MEMS gyroscope work?

A MEMS gyroscope consists of a small proof mass suspended by flexible beams. When the gyroscope experiences rotation, the Coriolis force causes the proof mass to deflect, which changes the capacitance between the proof mass and fixed plates. This change in capacitance is measured and used to calculate the rate of rotation.

3. What is meant by "differential readings"?

Differential readings refer to the difference in output between two measurements. In the case of a MEMS gyroscope, this could be the difference in capacitance between the proof mass and fixed plates when the gyroscope is at rest versus when it is in motion or experiencing rotation.

4. Why is polarity reversal important in measuring differential readings on a MEMS gyroscope?

Polarity reversal is important because it allows for the elimination of any offsets or biases in the gyroscope's output. By reversing the polarity, any effects of temperature, noise, or other factors can be cancelled out, resulting in more accurate differential readings.

5. What are the applications of using differential readings upon reversing polarity on a MEMS gyroscope?

Differential readings upon reversing polarity can be used for various applications, such as motion tracking in consumer electronics, navigation systems in vehicles, and stabilization in drones and other unmanned vehicles. It can also be used for industrial and scientific purposes, such as monitoring vibrations in structures or measuring rotation in machinery.