Where Can I Find Affordable Chemicals for Etching Steel?

• Thread starter DocToxyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for concentrated hydrochloric and nitric acid, as well as powdered asphaltum, for the purpose of etching steel. The original source suggests hardware stores or pool chemical dealers, but these may no longer be available. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of obtaining these chemicals without being affiliated with a school, university, or industry. Alternative methods and materials for etching steel are suggested, including commercially available etching solutions and ferric chloride. Ultimately, it is determined that aqua regia is not necessary for etching steel and other, safer options exist.
DocToxyn
Science Advisor
I'm looking to get the following: concentrated hydrochloric and nitric acid and powdered asphaltum. The book I'm getting this from suggests hardware stores or pool chemical dealers, but its dated back to the 1970's, so I'm not sure of the current availability outside of a commercial chemical dealer. Also, if chemical houses are the only place to get them, do they sell to the common man?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Conc. HCl and conc. HNO3 are restricted chemicals with most commercial suppliers. You must be affiliated with a school, university or industry that requires such chemicals. Haven't ever tried a hardware store for chemicals, so no clue about that.

You can get liquid asphaltum from most any art supply store. No luck finding asphaltum on websites of standard Chemical Supply houses. If liquid asphaltum is allowed to dry, it will harden into a solid layer, which can be scraped and ground to a powder. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time ! :biggrin:

I doubt any hardware store would sell concentrated HCl or nitric acid. Those are really strong acids and far too dangerous to sell in concentrated form to just anyone. Do we dare ask what home use you had in mind for these things? :eek:

H2SO4 and HNO3

Legally I think it's quite difficult to obtain these 2 mineral acids esp. in the concentrated form. You can try your luck by asking to private or public (chemical) laboratory nearby or high school/university laboratory.

H2SO4 at approx. 25% (d= approx 1.2g/mL) strength is readily obtainable as an acid soln. for your lead cell car battery.
Traditionally, long long time ago, HNO3 is synthesized by distilling conc. H2SO4 with Potassium nitrate (salpeter)...KNO3 + H2SO4 -> HNO3 + KHSO4
But this is an very archaic method and too troublesome to do unless you have other way of getting HNO3

Moonbear said:
I doubt any hardware store would sell concentrated HCl or nitric acid. Those are really strong acids and far too dangerous to sell in concentrated form to just anyone. Do we dare ask what home use you had in mind for these things? :eek:

The acids, when mixed at 4:1 HCl:HNO3, form a mixture called Aqua Regia which is used to etch steel. The asphalt is mixed with beeswax and when coated onto the steel provides the resist to the acid into which you carve the design you want the acid to "bite" into the steel. As I said the source for this is rather old and perhaps there are better, safer solutions for etching steel than this rather caustic mix. I'll search around for alternatives or if anyone here does such work, clue me in.

Well, depending on the amount you need and your available equipment, you could just synthesize it ...

DocToxyn said:
The acids, when mixed at 4:1 HCl:HNO3, form a mixture called Aqua Regia which is used to etch steel. The asphalt is mixed with beeswax and when coated onto the steel provides the resist to the acid into which you carve the design you want the acid to "bite" into the steel. As I said the source for this is rather old and perhaps there are better, safer solutions for etching steel than this rather caustic mix. I'll search around for alternatives or if anyone here does such work, clue me in.

Don't they have commercially available etching solutions now? I don't know if they are for steel or just glass. I know I've seen them for glass etching in craft stores. You might want to try an art store.

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for...
http://www.permanentmarking.com/etch-electrolyte.php

Last edited by a moderator:
A common etchant for most types of stainless (I know it works for 304 and 316) is ferric chloride - which I'm quite sure is sold in a decent art supply store. If you have an appropriate light source, I would suggest you use a mask and commercial photoresist as an etch stop, else you could try most enamel basd resists. In fact, regular paint, might work. The advantage of using a photoresist is that you can design the mask on your computer and print it onto a transparent (OHP) sheet...but this requires the correct lamp and reflector.

Don't art supply stores sell etch and resist kits ? I would imagine they do. I'm sure you wouldn't have to look too far for one.

Surely you do not require aqua regia to etch steel. HCl alone will do (though at a slower etch rate - which might to good or bad for you). A lower etch rate gives you better control but takes more time.

Gokul43201 said:
A common etchant for most types of stainless (I know it works for 304 and 316) is ferric chloride - which I'm quite sure is sold in a decent art supply store.
I found a method using ferric chloride/citric acid or copper sulfate/sodium chloride for etching steel. These should be more readily available and considerably safer :biggrin: . Thanks.

1. What chemicals are commonly available for scientific research?

There are thousands of chemicals available for scientific research, ranging from common household chemicals such as water and salt, to more specialized compounds like enzymes and radioactive isotopes. The availability of these chemicals may vary depending on your location and the specific supplier.

2. How can I obtain chemicals for my research?

Chemicals can be obtained from various sources, such as chemical suppliers, online retailers, or through university research facilities. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and obtain necessary permits or licenses before handling or purchasing chemicals.

3. Are there any restrictions on the availability of certain chemicals?

Yes, there are restrictions on certain chemicals due to safety concerns and regulations. This may include controlled substances, hazardous chemicals, or chemicals that can be used to make illegal drugs. It is important to be aware of these restrictions and obtain necessary approvals before obtaining these chemicals.

4. How can I ensure the quality and purity of the chemicals I am using?

Chemical suppliers typically provide information on the purity and quality of their products. It is important to research and compare different suppliers to ensure the best quality for your research. Additionally, proper storage and handling of chemicals can also impact their purity and effectiveness.

5. Are there any alternatives to using certain chemicals in research?

Yes, there may be alternatives to using certain chemicals in research, such as using non-toxic or less hazardous substitutes. It is important to consider the potential environmental and health impacts of the chemicals being used and explore alternative options whenever possible.