Terms of a geometric series and arithmetic series, find common ratio

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of r in a geometric progression where x, y, and z are the first three terms, and also the first, second, and fourth terms of an arithmetic progression. The values of r and n are needed to solve for the next term of the arithmetic progression that will be equal to a term of the geometric progression. The equations used to find r are r=y/x=z/y and z-y=2(y-x). The solution for r is either 1 or 2. To find the next term of the arithmetic progression, the corresponding increase for each value of r needs to be determined.
thekopite

Homework Statement

Different numbers x, y and z are the first three terms of a geometric progression with common ratio r, and also the first, second and fourth terms of an arithmetic progression.
a. Find the value of r.
b. Find which term of the arithmetic progression will next be equal to a term of the geometric progression.

I haven't tackled part b. yet but I'm guessing it must be quite straightforward once r is found, but for now I'm having major issues with a.

Homework Equations

So far I've come up with r=y/x=z/y (since all are different versions of the common ratio of the geometric progression), z-y = 2(y-x) (since y-x is the common difference of the arithmetic progression and z-y is the difference between the second and fourth terms) and y-x = y/x.

The Attempt at a Solution

However, I'm confused as to how to combine these equations in order to find r. All of my attempts have turned up hopelessly complex or just plain incorrect. Any suggestions as to the correct and most simple way to go about this would be appreciated, cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are doing looks entirely reasonable. So suppose you write
r = z/y, and then solve z = 3y-2x and plug it back in. You get a 2nd order equation for r.

So I managed to solve a. in the following manner:
r=y/x which means that y=rx, and since r=z/y, z=ry=(r^2)x
also z-y = 2(y-x), and plugging in the above values (in terms of x) of z and y I get x(r^2) - rx = 2rx - 2x
eliminating x from both sides of this equation gives (r^2) - 3r + 2 = 0, which gives me r=1 or 2.

However I'm having some problems with b.
I'm using the equation a(r^(n-1)) = a + (n-1) d, where a=x, r=2 and I need to solve for n.
Other than that, so far I've just been working in circles, and it's pretty frustrating. Where should I start looking for x and d? Do I even need to find x?

What's the corresponding increase you make to the arithmetic sequence for each value of r? So if r=2, what does the arithmetic sequence look like?

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each number is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next number. For example, in the series 2, 6, 18, 54, the ratio between each number is 3.

What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where each number is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous number. For example, in the series 5, 8, 11, 14, the common difference between each number is 3.

How do you find the common ratio of a geometric series?

To find the common ratio of a geometric series, divide any term by the previous term. The result will be the common ratio. For example, in the series 2, 6, 18, 54, the common ratio is 3 because 6/2 = 3, 18/6 = 3, and so on.

How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be calculated using the formula S = a(1-r^n) / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. Alternatively, you can use the formula S = a(1-r) / (1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

How is an arithmetic series different from a geometric series?

The main difference between an arithmetic series and a geometric series is that in an arithmetic series, the difference between each term is constant, while in a geometric series, the ratio between each term is constant. In an arithmetic series, the numbers increase or decrease by the same amount, whereas in a geometric series, the numbers increase or decrease by the same ratio.