Pick the charity PF will donate to

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the PF community will be donating $25 to a charity chosen by the community. The current poll, which will end on May 30th, includes options such as the Humane Society, Big Cat Rescue, and Oxfam. Many members have shared their personal connections to these charities and the importance of supporting them. Some have also suggested other charities to consider in the future. Thank you to everyone who has voted and participated in this great cause.

Who should PF donate to?

• Animal Humane Society

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Parkinson's Disease Foundation

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • The Conservation Fund

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Carnegie Institution for Science

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Give Kids The World

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
PF will be donating $25 to the charity of the communities choosing. Vote now! Poll ends May 30th!

Physics news on Phys.org
First vote! Animals.

StevieTNZ said:
First vote! Animals.

I think the Humane Society won last time too lol

No, I think Parkinson's won last time. This time Humane society should win. Several of us lost beloved pets this month and would appreciate a donation to the animal shelters.

May I also suggest "Big Cat Rescue" which rescues abused tiger, lion and several other big cats from various locations of USA and give them a final home.

Kholdstare said:
May I also suggest "Big Cat Rescue" which rescues abused tiger, lion and several other big cats from various locations of USA and give them a final home.

I'll add it to the next donation poll, thanks!

I love my dog, and before we found and adopted him he had been at the local ASPCA shelter from Mid-may until the end of September. He rarely leaves my side. I think animal shelters need the help because people are abandoning pets in poor economic times.

My wife and I donate to the local shelter (where we got Duke) and when she finds deals on pet-food (often bags that are torn in shipping/handling), she will snap them up and we'll donate those, too. Plus, shelters need cleaning supplies, disinfectants, etc. There is a store in the county seat that often offers bulk prices on remaindered supplies like that. Those go to the shelter, too.

They're all great charities it's hard to choose! Whoever wins I'll donate $10 to second place.

Though I love science, life is more important. I'd go for Animal Humane Society.

Hope science gets the second place! :biggrin:

Ryan_m_b said:
They're all great charities it's hard to choose! Whoever wins I'll donate $10 to second place.

Thanks Ryan!

I vote for oxfam :)

I've never heard of the last 3.
I love Lucifer T. Cat more than almost anyone or anything that I know, and seriously would kill anybody who hurt her, but I have to put innocent humans ahead of innocent animals. For that reason, I voted for Parkinson's. I'm in no position to contribute to any charity (I'm on AISH, so I'm the recipient of charity), but my first choice is STARS. That is totally irrelevant to anyone who doesn't live in my area. (It stands for Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society, and is the flying ambulance that so many of us in rural areas owe our lives to.) It costs a couple of thousand bucks per hour to keep one of those choppers in the air, but they save hundreds of people every year.
Next to that, my favourite would be Unicef. Kids don't even carry the little boxes around on Hallowe'en any more, so I don't know where their funding comes from.

Ryan_m_b said:

And I'll donate $10 to the third place!

I voted for Carnegie only because the Protect Jimmy Snyder Fund was not listed. Surely this oversight will be corrected next year. PM me if you want to know where to send money, cash only please, no checks or credit cards.

Wonderful, thanks Greg!

Just made the $10 donation to Carnegie Institution for Science :smile: great idea to do this Greg!

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF will be donating $25 to the charity of the communities choosing. Vote now! Poll ends May 30th!

I chose Animals Humane Society but I wish the Animal Liberation Front were there :rofl:

My wife and I donated a bag of Iams dog food to the local ASPCA shelter this weekend. If she could get a deal on detergents, cleaning products, or disinfectants, those would have been on the list, too. Those have to wait for affordability, but we will always pay for premium-grade dog food and donate it. We have a couple of "clearance" stores in the area, and when they feature cleaning supplies/disinfectants at a discount, the shelter is going to get help from us.

Awesome idea. Kudos to PF for this! This site is awesome. :)

Greg, why is the poll still open?

1. What is the purpose of "Pick the charity PF will donate to"?

The purpose of "Pick the charity PF will donate to" is to allow members of the community to have a say in where the company's charitable donations will go.

2. How often is the charity chosen for donation?

The charity is chosen for donation once a month, with a new poll being created at the beginning of each month.

3. Can anyone suggest a charity for donation?

Yes, anyone can suggest a charity for donation by leaving a comment on the monthly poll post. However, the final decision is made by the company.

4. How much money does PF donate to the chosen charity?

The amount of money donated varies each month, but the company typically donates a percentage of its profits or a set amount determined by the company.

5. Are there any restrictions on the types of charities that can be chosen?

While PF does not have specific restrictions on the types of charities that can be chosen, they do reserve the right to veto any charities that do not align with their values or mission.