Please explain use of Heine in proof of simple theorem

In summary, the proof of uniqueness of limit of function uses the Heine's theorem. This theorem states that if two functions have the same limit at a particular point, then the two functions must be the same sequence. If the functions are not the same sequence, then the two functions must be different functions.
twoflower
Hi all,

I don't fully understand the proof of uniqueness of limit of function. Our teacher proved it using the Heine's theorem. Here it is:

Proof:
Let [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = A[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = B[/itex].

Let [itex]\left{ x_{n} \right}[/itex] satisfies: [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = a[/itex]. Then

[tex]
\Longrightarrow^{Heine}
\begin{array}{cc}\lim f\left( x_{n} \right) = A\\\lim f\left( x_{n} \right) = B\end{array}\right
[/tex]

Ok, I understand this, because according to Heine it's equivalent. But I don't get the next step:

[tex]
\Longrightarrow^{\mbox{Uniqueness of limit of sequence}} A = B \Longrightarrow^{Heine 2} \mbox{Uniqueness of limit of function}
[/tex]

How can I use the uniqueness of limit of sequence here, when [itex]f\left( x_{n} \right)[/itex] is not a sequence, but a function?

Thank you for the explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If lim(x->a) f(x)= A, then f(xn) MUST also converge to A for any sequence xn converging to a. If f converged to both A and B, then the sequence f(xn) must converge to both A and B which, apparently, you have already proved is impossible.

Actually the proof of the uniqueness the limit of a sequence can be modified to give directly a proof of the uniqueness of the limit of a function.

If f converges to both A and B, take ε to be half the distance from A to B. Then show that x can't be within &epsilon of both A and B.

HallsofIvy said:
...If f converged to both A and B, then the sequence f(xn) must converge to both A and B which, apparently, you have already proved is impossible.

Well, that's what I don't understand. I think that [itex]f\left(x_{n}\right)[/itex] is function, not sequence. Sequence goes only over integers, whereas [itex]f\left(x_{n}\right)[/itex] doesn't...That's why I can't use the uniqueness of limit of sequence directly here I think...Of course there are other ways how to prove the uniqueness of limit of function, I just want to understand this one.

Why can't you construct the sequence:
[tex]a_{n}=f(x_{n})[/tex]??

What is the Heine theorem?

The Heine theorem, also known as the Heine-Borel theorem, states that a subset of real numbers is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

How is the Heine theorem used in proofs?

The Heine theorem is often used in proofs to show that a set is compact, which can be a useful property in mathematical analysis and topology.

Can the Heine theorem be applied to any set?

No, the Heine theorem only applies to subsets of real numbers. It cannot be applied to sets of complex numbers or other mathematical structures.

What other theorems are related to the Heine theorem?

The Heine theorem is related to other theorems in topology and real analysis, such as the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem and the Cantor intersection theorem.

Are there any applications of the Heine theorem in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the Heine theorem has applications in physics, for example in the study of compactness in the behavior of physical systems, and in economics, for analyzing the convergence of economic models.