Statistical Ph. - Distribution of Occupation

In summary, the conversation is about a lecture on combinatorics and the challenges the speaker is facing in understanding the material. The lecture involves finding possible combinations of subsystems based on their occupation numbers, but the speaker is confused about a diagram that uses "State" on the x-axis and mentions narrowing on the scale of N. They also express difficulty in following the lecture due to its lack of structure and ask for clarification on the diagram or any hints to better understand the material.
magicfountain
Hi,
I'm currently following this lecture:

Here is the script I downloaded up to the point were I got lost:
1.jpg

2.png

3.jpg

It seems to be a simple combinatorics problem looking for the possible combinations of the N subsystems for a given set of occupation number n_i (how many subsystems are in state i).
But then there comes this diagram, which I don't understand. What does "State" on the x-axis say? How can it be "narrowed on the scale of N"?
I find the lecture hard to follow as it is not really well structured. Maybe I missed an important point there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you could explain this diagram, or give me some hints on what is going on in the lecture, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

1. What is a statistical Ph.D. and what does it entail?

A statistical Ph.D. is a graduate degree program that focuses on advanced statistical theory and methods. It typically involves coursework in advanced mathematics, statistics, and data analysis, as well as practical experience in conducting research and analyzing data. Graduates of this program are equipped with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex statistical problems and make data-driven decisions.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a statistical Ph.D.?

Individuals with a statistical Ph.D. have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as healthcare, finance, government, and technology. Some common job titles for those with a statistical Ph.D. include data scientist, biostatistician, market research analyst, and research scientist.

3. What is the distribution of occupation for individuals with a statistical Ph.D.?

The distribution of occupation for individuals with a statistical Ph.D. varies depending on the industry and job market. However, statistics and data analysis roles are in high demand, and many graduates of this program find employment in these fields.

4. How long does it take to complete a statistical Ph.D. program?

The length of a statistical Ph.D. program can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. Some programs may offer an accelerated track for students with a strong background in statistics and mathematics.

5. What skills are necessary to succeed in a statistical Ph.D. program?

To succeed in a statistical Ph.D. program, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages such as R or Python and experience with statistical software packages is beneficial. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also essential, as statistical research often involves collaboration and presenting findings to others.