How to control heavy ball in x and y direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a decorational device that holds a heavy ball and allows for control of its movement in the X and Y directions. The device uses two motors and rubber bands to rotate the cylinders that hold the ball. The support for the ball is placed behind it for stability. The conversation also includes two questions about the friction between the ball and the rubber bands, and alternative ideas for motion using external motors and rubber bands.
_Patrick_
Hi there - I'm trying to build a decorational device that holds a rather heavy ball and I want to be able to control it's "movement/roll" in the X and Y directions (they are horizontal as well as orthogonal).

2w1wp3l.jpg

The two black cylinders (X and Y) aren't floating, but I forgot to draw their support pillars. They are wrapped into a rubber band each, which both are attached to two differrent motors in order to make them rotate.

The support is just an attempt to not drop the ball and is placed "behind" it from our point of view.

I have 2 questions:

1) If only the X-motor runs, will there be such a great friction between the ball and the Y-rubber that this configuration won't work?

2) Do you have any other ideas where the motion will come from external motors and rubber bans?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Patrick.
Your questions confuse me a bit, and I'm no expert in the matter anyhow, but I have one suggestion which might be an answer to #1. If you place your rollers farther out around the circumference of the ball, you will lower its centre of gravity and thus make the system more stable.

_Patrick_ said:
1) If only the X-motor runs, will there be such a great friction between the ball and the Y-rubber that this configuration won't work?

Hard to say but in principle, yes. There is definitely a lot of friction here.

Your device is identical to the computer mouse with a ball configuration. Two rollers at 90 degrees with a 3rd for support. However, yours is upside down from a mouse. That means all the weight of your ball rests on the rollers. With a heavy ball and rubber rollers, you will definitely have a lot of problems with friction.

Mouse-mechanism-cutaway.png

Would something like this work?

rotating+globe.jpg

You could do something similar to a floating granite ball fountain, but with motorized wheels to spin it in the needed directions.

http://www.hydrodramatics.com/floating_granite_ball_fountains.htm
floating_granite_ball.jpg

1. How can I improve my ball control in the x direction?

Improving ball control in the x direction requires a combination of strength, coordination, and practice. You can work on your strength and coordination through specific exercises, such as squats and lunges, to improve your overall control and stability. Additionally, practicing dribbling and passing drills can help you develop better control and touch on the ball in the x direction.

2. What techniques can I use to control the ball in the y direction?

To control the ball in the y direction, you can use techniques such as trapping and cushioning the ball with your feet, using your body to shield the ball from defenders, and using your arms for balance. It is also important to keep your eyes on the ball and anticipate its movements to better control it in the y direction.

3. How can I improve my overall ball control?

Improving overall ball control requires a combination of technical skills, physical abilities, and mental focus. Practicing different types of ball control drills, such as dribbling through cones or passing against a wall, can help improve your technical skills. Additionally, working on your strength, agility, and coordination through exercises and training can enhance your physical abilities. Maintaining a strong mental focus and staying calm under pressure can also greatly improve your ball control.

4. Are there any specific drills or exercises to improve ball control in both x and y directions?

Yes, there are many drills and exercises that can help improve ball control in both x and y directions. These include cone drills for agility, ladder drills for footwork, and passing and receiving drills for technical skills. Incorporating these drills into your training routine can help improve your overall ball control in both directions.

5. How important is footwork in controlling the ball in different directions?

Footwork is crucial for controlling the ball in different directions. Having good footwork helps you maintain balance and control while moving the ball, and can also help you change direction quickly and efficiently. Practicing footwork drills, such as ladder drills and cone drills, can greatly improve your ability to control the ball in both the x and y directions.