Slip fit tolerance for 37mm dia. part

In summary, a slip fit tolerance refers to the amount of clearance or looseness between two mating parts, specifically for a 37mm diameter part. It is important because it ensures proper function and is typically measured using precision tools. Factors such as material, surface finish, environment, and manufacturing process can affect the tolerance. The appropriate tolerance for a 37mm diameter part will depend on factors such as desired clearance, expected load, and type of movement.
MITranger
I have a steel component ∅37mm (O.D.) and looking for material/guidelines on a loose tolerance for the housing surrounding it. It needs to be able to fall straight through if held up vertically, easily insertable by hand, while still providing enough axial stability. What's a good diameter for this and is there any reliable references/tables for applications like this? Thanks, much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't help thinking that your range of operating temperatures will have a big impact upon the answer. Something that's a loose "slip fit" at 20° might very well seize at 100°.

google "fits and tolerances"

1. What is a slip fit tolerance?

A slip fit tolerance refers to the amount of clearance or looseness between two mating parts. In this case, it is specifically for a 37mm diameter part.

2. Why is slip fit tolerance important?

Slip fit tolerance is important because it ensures that the two parts can fit together smoothly and function properly without excessive friction or interference.

3. How is slip fit tolerance measured?

Slip fit tolerance is typically measured using calipers or other precision measurement tools. It is usually expressed as a range of acceptable values, such as +/- 0.005mm.

4. What factors affect slip fit tolerance?

Several factors can affect slip fit tolerance, including the material and surface finish of the parts, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the level of precision in the manufacturing process.

5. How do I determine the appropriate slip fit tolerance for my 37mm diameter part?

The appropriate slip fit tolerance for a 37mm diameter part will depend on the specific application. Factors such as the desired level of clearance, the expected load or stress on the parts, and the type of movement between the parts should be taken into consideration when determining the appropriate tolerance.