Matrix rep. of Linear Transformation

In summary, the matrix representation of a linear transformation can be better understood by expressing a vector v as a linear combination of basis vectors and then transforming it using T(v) = sum(ai T(bi), 1, n). This can then be written as a matrix multiplication using the transformed basis vectors. This process can be simplified by looking at individual basis vectors and representing them as column vectors, which can then be multiplied by the matrix representing T to get the coefficients for each transformed basis vector.
eckiller
Hello all,

I am trying to understand the matrix representation of a linear transformation.

So here is my thought process.

Let B = (b1, b2, ..., bn) be a basis for V, and let Y = (y1, y2, ..., ym) be a basis for W.

T: V --> W

Pick and v in V and express as a linear combo of the basis vectors:

v = sum( ai bi, 1, n)

T(v) = sum( ai T(bi), 1, n)

i.e., the transformed vector T(v) is determined by a linear combination of the transformed basis vectors.

Now coordanitize everything relative to Y, which we can always do since it is an isomorphism.

[T(v)]_Y = sum( ai [T(bi)]_Y, 1, n)

Then we can write this linear combination as a matrix multiplication, i.e., the vectors [T(bi)]_Y give the column vectors of the matrix representation.

Anyway, it took me awhile to get this and I still doubt myself. Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is simpler to look at the individual basis vectors. If you have bi in a specific order, then b1 itself is represented by the ntuple (1, 0, 0,..., 0). Writing that as a column vector and multiplying it by the matrix representing T, you see that each number in the first column is multiplied by 1 and all other numbers by 0. That is, the first column is precisely the coefficients of T(b1).

Now look at b2, etc. to get the other columns

Hi there,

Your thought process for understanding the matrix representation of a linear transformation is correct. By choosing a basis for both the vector spaces V and W, we can express any vector in V as a linear combination of the basis vectors and the transformed vector T(v) can also be expressed as a linear combination of the transformed basis vectors. This allows us to write T(v) as a matrix multiplication, where the column vectors of the matrix are the transformed basis vectors.

In simpler terms, the matrix representation of a linear transformation is a way of representing the transformation as a matrix, where the columns of the matrix are the transformed basis vectors. This matrix can then be used to perform computations and transformations on vectors in V.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the matrix representation of a linear transformation?

The matrix representation of a linear transformation is a way to represent a linear transformation using a matrix. It involves finding a matrix that, when multiplied by the vector representing a certain input, will produce the resulting vector representing the output of the linear transformation.

2. Why is the matrix representation of a linear transformation useful?

The matrix representation of a linear transformation is useful because it allows us to perform computations and visualize the transformation using matrices, which are easier to work with than the original transformation. It also makes it easier to find the inverse of the transformation.

3. How is the matrix representation of a linear transformation related to the standard basis vectors?

The matrix representation of a linear transformation is related to the standard basis vectors by using the transformation's images of the basis vectors as columns of the matrix. This means that the columns of the matrix are the images of the standard basis vectors under the transformation.

4. Can any linear transformation be represented by a matrix?

Yes, any linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. This is because a linear transformation is defined by how it affects the standard basis vectors, and a matrix can be constructed using the images of the standard basis vectors under the transformation.

5. How do you determine the matrix representation of a linear transformation?

To determine the matrix representation of a linear transformation, you need to find the images of the standard basis vectors under the transformation. These images will then become the columns of the matrix, with the first column representing the image of the first standard basis vector, the second column representing the image of the second standard basis vector, and so on.