Exploring the Impact of Gravity on Black Holes: Insights and Implications

• Thread starter sweet springs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the transmission of information and gravitational forces in relation to black holes. It is stated that an event horizon acts as a one-way membrane, allowing information in but not out. The concept of gravitational waves and their speed is also mentioned. The question of whether changes in position can be considered as information is raised, along with the possibility of a binary black hole system and its implications.
sweet springs
Hi.

BHs receive gravity of other stars and then move. Does this mean that information of gravity of other stars go beyond event horizon around BHs to let them move?

Thanks for your teachings in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. An event horizon is like a one-way membrane. It let's information in, but not out.

Although you didn't ask about it, we could also ask about the transmission of information in the opposite direction by the same mechanism. The black hole does make gravitational forces on other stars. But this isn't really what we mean by transmission of information out through the event horizon. What we mean by that is really that a particle's world-line escapes -- and that's what doesn't happen.

Thanks.

Signal of gravity from other stars lose speed approaching the event horizon thus does not it take infinite time to go through the event horizon ?

sweet springs said:
Signal of gravity from other stars lose speed approaching the event horizon thus does not it take infinite time to go through the event horizon ?
If by "signal of gravity" you mean gravitational waves, then they travel at c locally. They don't slow down in a coordinate independent sense.

I suspect you are thinking of a coordinate dependent effect of the Schwarzschild coordinates.

DaleSpam said:
If by "signal of gravity" you mean gravitational waves, then they travel at c locally. They don't slow down in a coordinate independent sense.

I suspect you are thinking of a coordinate dependent effect of the Schwarzschild coordinates.

I think sweet_springs was referring to the black hole's static gravitational force acting on infalling matter, not gravitational waves approaching the black hole.

sweet springs said:

Assuming I'm right, and you're talking about infalling matter, then your statement about taking infinite time to go through the event horizon is only for a distant observer.

bcrowell said:
Yes. An event horizon is like a one-way membrane. It let's information in, but not out.

Don't people believe that information is not lost but preserved in the hawking cloud?

I read sweet springs question to be this:
If two stars are on opposite sides of a BH, is the BH "absorbing" or "blocking" the gravitational influence of one star's "gravitational message" to the other star?
Sometimes the distance "line of sight" between two object on each side of a BH is characterized as being infinite.

bcrowell said:

Although you didn't ask about it, we could also ask about the transmission of information in the opposite direction by the same mechanism. The black hole does make gravitational forces on other stars. But this isn't really what we mean by transmission of information out through the event horizon. What we mean by that is really that a particle's world-line escapes -- and that's what doesn't happen.

Wouldn't changes of position be information?
If we imagine a binary BH system orbiting a barycenter wouldn't the orbits require constant exchange of information or waves,gravitons or something that updated the geometry relative to their changing locations?
Or is such a system impossible in principle because of the barrier imposed by the horizon??

Hi.

bcrowell said:
Assuming I'm right, and you're talking about infalling matter, then your statement about taking infinite time to go through the event horizon is only for a distant observer.

Thanks. Let me state my original question more clearly.

There is a system composed of a star and a BH. The BH moves receiving gravity originated from the star. May I understand right that the BH does not move for a distant observer because gravity caused by the star cannot enter into the even horizon in finite time ?

Regards.

1. What is the concept of gravity and how does it impact black holes?

The concept of gravity is a fundamental force that exists between two objects with mass. It is responsible for the formation and behavior of black holes, which are extremely dense objects with intense gravitational pull. The stronger the gravity of a black hole, the more it can influence the motion of surrounding objects, including light.

2. How do scientists explore the impact of gravity on black holes?

Scientists use a variety of methods to explore the impact of gravity on black holes. This includes observing the motion of objects around a black hole, studying the effects of gravitational lensing, and analyzing the behavior of matter as it falls into a black hole.

3. What insights can we gain from studying the impact of gravity on black holes?

Studying the impact of gravity on black holes can provide insights into the nature of space and time, as well as the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as black holes are often found at the center of these structures.

4. What are some practical implications of understanding the impact of gravity on black holes?

Understanding the impact of gravity on black holes has practical implications for space travel and communication. It can also help us develop more accurate models for predicting and mitigating the effects of gravitational forces on satellites and other spacecraft.

5. Is there still more to be discovered about the impact of gravity on black holes?

Yes, there is still much to be discovered about the impact of gravity on black holes. Scientists continue to study and refine our understanding of these extreme objects, and new technologies and observations are constantly pushing the boundaries of our knowledge.