Charge flow when two conductors having same charge are connected

In summary: If you have two spheres with the same charge but different sizes, the large sphere will have a higher potential than the small sphere. This is because they are both capacitors and the larger sphere stores more potential energy.
D_DaYwAlKeR
Can anybody pleasez answer my question...?

--->>No charge will flow when two conductors having the same charge are connected to each other. IS this statement true or FALSE?...

what i think is ..it is not necessary that the potential of both conductors is also same..

So due to potential difference there can be a charge flow..

Hence, the statement is not always true...

One more question ..When the above statement is TRUE?...

last question...

If two charged conductors having same potential are connected..will there be a charge flow..?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Q = C*V

Q = charge, C = capacitance, V = voltage/potential

@PhysTech : I didnt understand wat u have written...
does capacitance has a connection with this?

D_DaYwAlKeR said:
it is not necessary that the potential of both conductors is also same..
That is the connection to capacity: It is the relation between potential difference and charge.

So due to potential difference there can be a charge flow..

Hence, the statement is not always true...
Right.

If two charged conductors having same potential are connected..will there be a charge flow..?
What do you think? ;)

@mfb ..

now i understood the connection of capacitance...
so it means that if two bodies having same charge and same capacitance have same potential...
and if they have same charge and same shape and geometry they will have same potential...

i think if the potentials of two bodies are equal..then charges will not flow as the difference in potential is the driving force which, in this case is absent..

Am i correct?

A small sphere will have a lower (magnitude of) potential than a large sphere if they both have the same charge on them. Hence, a current will flow when they are connected.
That's the first level of description of what goes on. It gets better / worse, though.

1. What happens to the charge flow when two conductors with the same charge are connected?

When two conductors with the same charge are connected, the charge will evenly distribute itself between the two conductors. This means that the total charge will be divided equally between the two conductors, resulting in a decrease in the charge on each individual conductor.

2. Why does charge flow between two conductors with the same charge?

Charge flows between two conductors with the same charge because of the principle of electrostatic induction. When the two conductors are brought into contact, the excess charge on one conductor will repel the like charges on the other conductor, causing the charge to flow from one conductor to the other until an equilibrium is reached.

3. Does the distance between the two conductors affect the charge flow?

Yes, the distance between the two conductors does affect the charge flow. The closer the two conductors are, the stronger the electrostatic force between them, resulting in a faster charge flow between the two conductors. However, if the distance between the two conductors is too far, the charge flow may not occur at all.

4. What happens to the charge flow if the two conductors have different charges?

If the two conductors have different charges, the charge will flow from the conductor with the higher charge to the conductor with the lower charge. This process will continue until the two conductors reach an equilibrium, with an equal charge on each conductor.

5. Is there a limit to how much charge can flow between two conductors?

Yes, there is a limit to how much charge can flow between two conductors. This limit is determined by the capacitance of the two conductors, which is a measure of how much charge each conductor can hold. Once the capacitance is reached, the charge flow will stop and the two conductors will have an equal and opposite charge.