Physics concept that originated from an animal source?

In summary, these animals inspired the development of machines and technologies that have improved our lives.
GetNVan4Candy
I need help finding some animals whose application of physics in the nature have inspired people to use the same physics in inventions/different applications.

Some animals I've thought of are:
  • Bats (Radar)
  • Dolphins (Sonar)
  • Birds (Airplanes)

These animals would be perfect, except there aren't many social and environmental aspects I can talk about.

I just need some random animals to help me brainstorm.
If anything jumps into your mind, please post it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bats don't use radar (radio wave reflections to determine position or speed). The use a form of sonar, or high frequency sound wave reflections in a process called echo location.

GetNVan4Candy said:
  • Bats (Radar)
  • Dolphins (Sonar)
These are dubious examples at best. First off, bats, like toothed whales, use sound for echolocation. Radar is very different beast. Secondly, neither radar nor sonar were biologically inspired. That echolocation in bats and toothed whales is similar to how sonar (not radar) works was discovered after sonar was developed.

The field of machine learning (a branch of artificial intelligence) does have several biologically-motivated concepts. Genetic algorithms, ant colony optimization, and particle swarm optimization, for example.

I saw a program once where engineers had created a robotic arm based on the way an elephant’s trunk worked.

1. How did the concept of flight in physics originate from birds?

The concept of flight in physics originated from birds through the study of their anatomy and aerodynamics. Scientists observed the shape and structure of bird wings, which led to the discovery of lift and drag forces that allow birds to fly. This concept was then applied to the design of airplanes and other flying machines.

2. What is the connection between the physics of sound and the vocal cords of animals?

The physics of sound is closely related to the vocal cords of animals, specifically in the production of vocalizations. The movement of vocal cords creates vibrations that travel through the air as sound waves. By studying the anatomy and function of animal vocal cords, scientists have gained a better understanding of the physics behind sound production.

3. How do the physics of water waves relate to the swimming techniques of marine animals?

The physics of water waves, such as surface tension and buoyancy, play a crucial role in the swimming techniques of marine animals. For example, dolphins use their streamlined bodies and tail flukes to create lift and reduce drag, similar to the principles of fluid dynamics studied in physics. By studying these animals, scientists have been able to improve the design of underwater vehicles and propulsion systems.

4. What is the connection between the physics of light and the color-changing abilities of certain animals?

The physics of light, specifically the study of how light interacts with different materials, is closely related to the color-changing abilities of certain animals. For example, the chameleon's ability to change color is due to the reflection and absorption of light by specialized cells in their skin. By understanding the physics behind these color-changing mechanisms, scientists have been able to develop new materials and technologies for camouflage and color-changing displays.

5. How did the physics of magnetism originate from observing animal behavior?

The physics of magnetism originated from observations of animal behavior, specifically that of migratory birds. Scientists noticed that these birds were able to navigate using the Earth's magnetic field, which led to the discovery of magnetoreception - the ability to sense and respond to magnetic fields. This phenomenon has been studied in various animal species and has also been applied to the development of magnetic compasses and navigation systems.