Need Help Finding Data Concerning the Pyrolysis and Smouldering of Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding data about the combustion temperatures of everyday materials such as wood, polyethylene, and coal. The data collected so far shows varying temperatures for pyrolysis, smouldering, and flaming. However, there is some discrepancy in the data for coal, as it is unlikely to reach 950°C and still maintain its black color. The conversation also mentions the lack of available data on this subject despite the long history of human use of fire. Finally, a useful website is mentioned for further information.
Prince Rilian
I am having a bit of trouble finding data about the various combustion temperatures (pyrolysis, smouldering, and flaming) temperatures of everyday materials.

Here is the data I have collected so far (forgive me if anything is wrong):
*Wood/Paper (C6H10O5)x: Pyrolysis Temperature is 233°C (451°F), Smouldering Temperature is ≈382°C (≈720°F), and Flaming Temperature is ≈590°C (≈1000°F).
*Polyethylene (CH2)x: Melting Temperature is ≈120°C (≈248°F), Pyrolysis Temperature is 210°C (410°F), and Smouldering Temperature is 349°C (660°F).
*Coal (C), Anthracite Variety: Pyrolysis Temperature is ≈450°C (≈842°F), Smouldering Temperature is ≈700°C (≈1300°F), and Flaming Temperature is ≈950°C (≈1,740°F).

That last piece of data (coal combustion temperatures) doesn't seem to be quite right, as blackbody-radiation objects (such as coal) are brightly white-hot at 950°C, and I have never seen white-hot coal before.

I am kind of amazed that more data has not been collected on this subject, as human beings have been using fire ever since we...well, ever were human. Grant it, the measurement of exact temperatures only began in the 1600's, but still, humans use fire every day in some form, so I would think that more data would be available!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right. I got my scales mixed up. 1,740°C would be white-hot, but not 1740°F (950°C).

And for your information, I have already visited the website that you mentioned about a week ago! (Although it is nonetheless useful information.)

1. What is the purpose of studying pyrolysis and smouldering of materials?

The purpose of studying pyrolysis and smouldering of materials is to gain a better understanding of how materials decompose and burn under different conditions. This knowledge can be used to improve fire safety and develop more efficient and sustainable waste management practices.

2. What types of materials can undergo pyrolysis and smouldering?

Pyrolysis and smouldering can occur in a wide range of materials, including wood, plastic, paper, and even some metals. It is a common process in natural and human-made environments, such as wildfires and industrial processes.

3. How does the pyrolysis process work?

During pyrolysis, materials are heated to high temperatures in the absence of oxygen, causing them to break down into smaller molecules. These molecules then react with oxygen in the air, leading to smouldering and combustion.

4. What factors can affect the rate of pyrolysis and smouldering?

The rate of pyrolysis and smouldering can be influenced by various factors, including the type of material, its moisture content, the temperature and oxygen levels in the environment, and the presence of other chemical compounds or impurities.

5. How can data on pyrolysis and smouldering be useful for practical applications?

Data on pyrolysis and smouldering can be used to develop more accurate models for predicting fire behavior, which is crucial for firefighting and fire prevention efforts. It can also inform the development of new materials and technologies that are more resistant to fire and reduce the risk of accidents and environmental damage.