Alcubierre Drive: Exploring Space Travel & Theory

• Thread starter mnielsen1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on reducing mass in spacecraft and the theoretical implications of traveling at high speeds. The speaker has not read the paper, but mentions the possibility of faster aging for those on Earth compared to those on the spacecraft. It is also mentioned that the spacecraft's speed would outpace communication capabilities, leading to a discussion of other theoretical concepts like "sub-space".
mnielsen1
OK, so I have not read the whole paper, can't seem to access it so if anyone has it, please send it my way or at least a link too it. I understand the principles and with White coming out and proposing how to reduce the mass required I can see it being plausable, interesting at the least. Now, again, I have not read the paper and do not know if it covers this, but according to the special theory of relativity, those inside of the craft would get there much faster and age much slower than those of us here on Earth, thusly when they get back we would be older and possibly those that sent them would be dead. Again, I have not read this but the buzz is that it is not completely "trek-like" and that the factors of "warp" would be nearly limit-less. The weeeks or months to travel to Alfa Centuri as White was stating may be plausible, would that be for the observers or for the travelers? Further more, it is clear that the craft would travel exponentiallay faster than any communications capabilities that we currently possesses so is anyone working on any other theories taken from si-fy such as "sub-space" or any other coined phrase?

Physics news on Phys.org
mnielsen1 said:
OK, so I have not read the whole paper, can't seem to access it so if anyone has it, please send it my way or at least a link too it.

Here? http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013

Awesome! This tanker thanks you!

Damn, dt=dt. Assuming we can pull this off, that is cool for us here at home. Sounds almost too good to be true...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Alcubierre Drive and its potential for space travel. I find this topic very intriguing and there is indeed ongoing research and discussions in the scientific community about its feasibility.

The Alcubierre Drive is a theoretical concept that proposes a way to travel faster than the speed of light by manipulating space-time. While the idea is fascinating, there are still many challenges and unanswered questions surrounding this concept, such as the amount of energy required and the potential effects on the fabric of space-time.

As you mentioned, the concept also raises interesting questions about the effects of time dilation on the travelers and those left behind on Earth. This is a well-known phenomenon in the theory of relativity, where time appears to move slower for objects moving at high speeds. It is possible that the travelers on the Alcubierre Drive could experience time at a different rate than those on Earth, but the extent of this effect would depend on the specifics of the drive and its operation.

In terms of communication, the Alcubierre Drive would indeed far surpass our current capabilities, making it difficult to maintain real-time communication with the travelers. This is a challenge that would need to be addressed in any potential implementation of this concept.

As for other theories and concepts from science fiction, while they may inspire scientific thinking and research, they should be approached with caution and tested rigorously before being considered as viable options for space travel. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and evaluate all potential theories and ideas, and to continue exploring and pushing the boundaries of our understanding of the universe.

1. What is the Alcubierre Drive?

The Alcubierre Drive is a theoretical concept for a spacecraft propulsion system that would allow for faster-than-light travel by contracting space in front of the spacecraft and expanding it behind it.

2. Who proposed the Alcubierre Drive?

The Alcubierre Drive was proposed by Mexican theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994.

3. How does the Alcubierre Drive work?

The Alcubierre Drive works by creating a bubble of negative energy density around the spacecraft, which would warp space-time and allow for faster-than-light travel.

4. Is the Alcubierre Drive possible?

At this time, the Alcubierre Drive is only a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. It would require large amounts of exotic matter with negative energy density, which has not been observed in nature.

5. What are the potential implications of the Alcubierre Drive?

If the Alcubierre Drive were to be proven possible and developed, it could revolutionize space travel and allow for humans to explore and colonize distant parts of the universe. It could also have implications for time travel and our understanding of the laws of physics.