Continuity equation, cartisan to polar

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates in order to derive the continuity equation in fluid mechanics. The expert explains that using the vector derivative operator is necessary for accurate calculations and provides the equations for both cartesian and polar coordinates. The expert also demonstrates how to compute the continuity equation using the vector derivative operator in polar coordinates.
arneolsen
Hello, I've allways wondered how to get to polar coordinates from cartisan coordinates. I took a course in fluid mechanics but we never learned how to get the continuity equation from cartisan to polar. I know you can use physics to derive the polar equation, but I want to do it just by using mathematics and the cartisan equation.

In cartisan the equation is
[itex]\frac{\partial V_{x}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial V_{y}}{\partial y}=0[/itex]

by using:
[itex]x=r*cos(\theta)\\
y = r*sin(\theta)[/itex]

I get:

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{dx}{dt} \\
\frac{dy}{dt}\end{pmatrix}

=
\begin{pmatrix}
V_{x} \\
V_{y}\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
cos(\theta) & -r*sin(\theta) \\
sin(\theta) & r*cos(\theta)\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
V_{r} \\
V_{\theta}\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]
, I have defined: [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{dr}{dt} \\
\frac{d\theta}{dt}\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
V_{r} \\
V_{\theta}\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

This gives:
[itex]V_{x}=cos(\theta)*V_{r}-r*sin(\theta)*V_{\theta}[/itex] and
[itex]V_{y}=sin(\theta)*V_{r}+r*cos(\theta)*V_{\theta}[/itex]

Now my problem arises, I do not see how I am supposed to calculate:
[itex]\frac{\partial V_{x}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial V_{y}}{\partial y}=
\frac{\partial (cos(\theta)*V_{r}-r*sin(\theta)*V_{\theta})}{\partial x} +
\frac{ \partial (sin(\theta)*V_{r}+r*cos(\theta)*V_{\theta}) }{\partial y}
[/itex]

Can you guys help me how to end this? It is supposed to be at the end:

[itex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r*V_{r})
+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}(V_{\theta})=0
[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately vector calculus doesn't work that way. If you're trying to convert from cartesian coordinates then you need to work in terms of the vector derivative operator [itex]\nabla[/itex] or you will get things wrong.

The continuity equation is
[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho \mathbf{v}) = 0[/tex]
which for a constant density [itex]\rho[/itex] reduces to
[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v} = 0.[/tex]

In cartesian coordinates,
[tex]\nabla = \mathbf{e}_x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \mathbf{e}_y \frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex]
where the unit vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_x[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{e}_y[/itex] are constant, so that if [itex]\mathbf{v} = v_x \mathbf{e}_x + v_y \mathbf{e}_y[/itex] then
[tex]
\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v} = \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} +
\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}
[/tex]

The unit vectors in polar coordinates are, in terms of the cartesian unit vectors, [itex]\mathbf{e}_r = \cos\theta \mathbf{e}_x + \sin\theta \mathbf{e}_y[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{e}_\theta = -\sin\theta \mathbf{e}_x + \cos\theta \mathbf{e}_y[/itex]. These are not constant but depend on [itex]\theta[/itex]. Thus, if [itex]\mathbf{v} = v_r\mathbf{e}_r + v_\theta \mathbf{e}_\theta[/itex] then
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} (v_r\mathbf{e}_r )
= \frac{\partial v_r}{\partial \theta} \mathbf{e}_r + v_r \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \mathbf{e}_r
= \frac{\partial v_r}{\partial \theta} \mathbf{e}_r + v_r \mathbf{e}_\theta
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} (v_\theta\mathbf{e}_\theta )
= \frac{\partial v_\theta}{\partial \theta} \mathbf{e}_\theta + v_\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \mathbf{e}_\theta
= \frac{\partial v_\theta}{\partial \theta} \mathbf{e}_\theta - v_\theta \mathbf{e}_r
[/tex]

It is fairly easy to show that, in polar coordinates,
[tex]
\nabla = \mathbf{e}_r\frac{\partial }{\partial r} + \mathbf{e}_\theta \frac1r \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[/tex]
(the best way is to express the derivatives with respect to [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] in terms of those with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] using the chain rule, and then invert a 2x2 matrix to obtain the derivatives with respect to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in terms of those with respect to [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex], and substitute those expressions into the cartesian version of [itex]\nabla[/itex]) and it is straightforward to compute
[tex]
\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v} = \left(\mathbf{e}_r\frac{\partial }{\partial r} + \mathbf{e}_\theta \frac1r \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\right)\cdot \left(v_r\mathbf{e}_r + v_\theta \mathbf{e}_\theta\right)[/tex]
to get the correct expression.

1. What is the Continuity Equation?

The Continuity Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states that the mass of a fluid entering a system must be equal to the mass exiting the system, assuming no sources or sinks of mass within the system. It is derived from the principle of conservation of mass.

2. How is the Continuity Equation related to fluid flow?

The Continuity Equation describes how the velocity of a fluid changes as it moves through a system. It is used to understand and predict fluid flow in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines.

3. What is the difference between Cartesian and Polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a system of coordinates that uses x and y axes to locate a point in two-dimensional space. Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a distance from the origin and an angle to locate a point in two-dimensional space. They are often used in situations where there is a natural circular or rotational symmetry.

4. How do you convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates, you can use the following equations:

r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹ (y/x)

Where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle in radians.

5. Why is it useful to convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

Converting from Cartesian to Polar coordinates can be useful in situations where there is a natural circular or rotational symmetry, such as in fluid flow around a circular object. It can also make certain calculations and equations simpler and more intuitive. For example, in polar coordinates, the equation for the area of a circle is simply A = πr², whereas in Cartesian coordinates it is A = π(x² + y²).