Closed form solutions to integrals of the following type?

In summary, for any integral where the integrand is of the form f(θ)^z, with z a complex number, and f(θ) = sin(θ), cos(θ), tan(θ), ... etc., θ being either real or complex, it is possible to express the antiderivative in terms of hypergeometric functions. This can be seen in the examples provided by JJacquelin.
eyesontheball1
For any integral where the integrand is of the form f(θ)^z, with z a complex number, and f(θ) = sin(θ), cos(θ), tan(θ), ... etc., θ being either real or complex. Is it possible to explicitly solve for an antiderivative? I'm not aware of any such way I could use residues/series representations here, and I've tried all kinds of substitutions for integrals of this type; in particular, of [sin(θ)]^z, z being a complex constant. Thank you in advance!

David

Physics news on Phys.org
No, even if z is real (not rational).

eyesontheball1 said:
For any integral where the integrand is of the form f(θ)^z, with z a complex number, and f(θ) = sin(θ), cos(θ), tan(θ), ... etc., θ being either real or complex. Is it possible to explicitly solve for an antiderivative? I'm not aware of any such way I could use residues/series representations here, and I've tried all kinds of substitutions for integrals of this type; in particular, of [sin(θ)]^z, z being a complex constant. Thank you in advance!

David

Hi!

most of them can be expressed in terms of hypergeometric functions.

Would you mind showing exactly how such an integral can be expressed via a hypergeometric function? Thanks in advance!

Great, thank you JJacquelin!

1. What is a closed form solution?

A closed form solution is an equation or expression that can be written using a finite number of well-known mathematical operations and functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents, logarithms, and trigonometric functions. It is a way of representing a mathematical expression in a concise and simplified form.

2. How are closed form solutions useful in integrals?

Closed form solutions in integrals are useful because they can provide an exact and explicit solution to a mathematical problem, rather than just an approximation. They can also help in solving more complex integrals by breaking them down into simpler forms.

3. What types of integrals can be solved using closed form solutions?

Closed form solutions can be used to solve a variety of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and multidimensional integrals. However, not all integrals have a closed form solution and some may require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

4. Are there any limitations to using closed form solutions in integrals?

One limitation of closed form solutions in integrals is that they may not always be applicable to real-world problems. Many real-world problems involve non-standard functions or complex integrals that cannot be solved using closed form solutions. In such cases, numerical methods may be more suitable for finding an approximate solution.

5. How can I determine if an integral has a closed form solution?

There is no general method for determining whether an integral has a closed form solution or not. However, there are some techniques that can be used to identify certain types of integrals that have a closed form solution, such as recognizing patterns, using symmetry, or applying known integration formulas.