Express derivatives most intuitively

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first three derivatives with respect to time for a given function g(t) and the possibility of expressing them using the gradient or hessian matrix. It is mentioned that the derivative of a function from R3 to R3 can be represented as a 3 by 3 matrix, and the derivative function is from R3 to R9. The conversation also touches on the idea of higher derivatives involving higher dimensions.
Gavroy
I have given a function g(t)=∇(f(x(t))) , f: IR³->IR and x: IR-> IR³ and want to express the first 3 derivatives with respect to time most simply.
I thought that g'(t)=Hessian(f(x(t)))dx/dt
but how do I get the further derivatives. is there any chance to express those in terms of taking the gradient or the hessian matrix of a function several times?

Physics news on Phys.org
If f is a function from R3 to R3, then its derivative is, as you say, a linear transformation from R3 to R3 which you can represent as a 3 by 3 matrix, the Hessian, at each point in R3, which has 9 entries and so can be thought of as in R9.

And that, in turn, means that the derivative function is from R3 to R9 so its derivative would be a linear tranformation from R3 to R9 which could be represented by a "3 by 3 by 3" matrix- a sort of three dimensional variation of a matrix. Higher derivatives, then, would involve higher dimensions.

okay, thank you for your reply, but how do I write down these higher derivatives explicitely, so that I get the right answer?

1. What are express derivatives?

Express derivatives refer to the mathematical concept of calculating the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is commonly used in calculus and is essential in understanding the behavior of functions.

2. How do you intuitively understand derivatives?

One way to intuitively understand derivatives is to think of it as the slope of a curve at a specific point. Just like how the slope of a line tells us how steep the line is, the derivative tells us how fast a function is changing at a particular point.

3. What is the importance of express derivatives?

Express derivatives are crucial in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of different quantities and predict their future values. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

4. How are express derivatives calculated?

To calculate the derivative of a function, we use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

5. What are some real-life applications of express derivatives?

Express derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in calculating the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, determining the marginal cost and revenue in economics, and finding the optimal route in navigation systems. It is also used in machine learning algorithms to improve prediction accuracy.