Understanding Critical Numbers and Inflection Points in Calculus

In summary, when finding the critical points of a function, we are looking for where the derivative is zero or undefined. For concavity and inflection points, the continuity requirement for the original function may be dropped, but only the zeros of the second derivative are considered inflection points. The undefined values of the second derivative indicate where the concavity changes, but are not considered inflection points because the function must be defined at those points for an inflection point to exist.
algorithmia
I am a bit confused over something that should be relatively easy to research , however, I am having a hard time finding a direct answer to my question.

When finding the extrema of a function , we find at what points the first derivative is 0 or undefined .. with the stipulation , if I am not mistaken , that the function itself IS defined at those values(continuous but not necessarily differentiable at those points) .. if they are not , then they will not be critical numbers per the definition . .

when finding concavity / points of inflection .. i am assuming the continuity requirement for the original function with respect to the critical numbers of the second derivative is dropped . am i right ? ..also , can I automatically assume if there are discontinuties in the original function , those will serve as critical numbers for sake of determining concavity ?

i am getting conflicting information but my intuition tells me this has to be so . just by looking at a couple graphs.concavity changes between vertical asymptotes. but i just wanted to make sure .. my book sucks. =D

Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the critical points of a function means where the function's derivative is either zero or undefined. So when you get a set of critical points, you are solving for both where the derivative is 0 and/or undefined.

Take the tangent function for example, which has a vertical asymptote every pi/2 + pi*k where k is an integer. Solving for critical numbers, we would get sec(x)^2 = 0. Since the secant never equals 0, the tangent never has a horizontal tangent line. But the secant is undefined at pi/2 + pi*k, which gives us where the derivative is undefined, because of the vertical asymptotes. To be clear, these asymptotes are included in these critical numbers, but are not extrema.

To solve for inflection points, we take the second derivative. Thus, we have 2tanx(secx)^2 = 0. 2(secx)^2 will never be zero, so we cancel it out. tanx = 0 at pi/4 + pi*k. However, because of the secant, the second derivative is also undefined at pi/2 + pi*k, and the function changes concavity at both of these sets. So, to clarify: the second derivative's zeros and undefined values gives us where the concavity changes. But only the zeros are considered inflection points, because the function must be defined in order for an inflection point to exist.

Hope this helps.

What is Critical Numbers Confusion?

Critical Numbers Confusion refers to a common mistake made by students when finding critical numbers in calculus. It is the confusion between critical numbers and points of inflection.

What are critical numbers?

Critical numbers are values on a function where the derivative is either zero or undefined. These values can give us important information about the behavior of the function.

What are points of inflection?

Points of inflection are points on a function where the concavity changes. In other words, the function goes from being concave up to concave down or vice versa. These points can be found by setting the second derivative of the function equal to zero.

Why is it important to differentiate between critical numbers and points of inflection?

It is important to differentiate between critical numbers and points of inflection because they have different implications for the behavior of a function. Critical numbers can help us identify local extrema, while points of inflection can help us identify where the concavity changes.

How can one avoid making critical numbers confusion?

One way to avoid making critical numbers confusion is by carefully labeling and organizing your work when finding critical numbers and points of inflection. It can also be helpful to review the definitions and differences between the two concepts. Practice and double-checking your work can also help prevent this mistake.