Homogeneous Differential Equations

In summary, the original conversation is about whether an equation is homogeneous or not. The equation is non-linear, so it is not homogeneous.
nados29
Hi,

I need some help in finding whether this differential equation is homogeneous or not.

3 (d^2 y / dx^2) + x (dy/dx)^2 = y^2

I know that for example,

x^2 dx + xy dy = 0 is homogeneous. But how can I deal with the equation that has (d^2 y / dx^2) and (dy/dx)^2 ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your question just to determine if the equation is homogeneous or not? If so, the fact that the equation is non-linear is not relevant: yes it is homogeneous because it does not have any terms which do NOT involve y or one of its derivatives.
(That's the advantage of knowing the DEFINITION rather than just some examples.)

Of course, the fact that it is non-linear pretty much means being homogeneous doesn't make it any easier to solve!

Just to format it:

[tex]3 \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+x(\frac{dy}{dx})^2-y^2=0[/tex]

Hummmmm . . .

Indeed, homogeneous but additionally nonlinear. Quite analytically insoluble, though.

The simplist way to answer the question of homogeneity is to ask:

Is Y(x) = 0 a solution?

If the answer is yes, then the equation is homogeneous.

Hrm, does it really make sense to ask if a nonlinear DE is homogenous? I don't have a general definition handy, and Mathworld only defines homogeneity for linear differential equations.

Probably Mathworld gives attempts to solve it,too...Is a nonlinear algebraic system either homogenous or nonhomogenous...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

Hey i need some help finding the general solution of

ydy= (-x+ √(x^2 + y^2))dx

by using the substitution y= vx and then the substitution u^2= 1 + v^2

It would be great if someone could help.

Do not, do not, do not "hijack" someone else's thread for a new question. It's very easy to start a thread of your own!

In fact, I'm going to do that for you.

your equation is not homogeneous:
It follows from k-2m=2k-m=2k, so k=0, m=0

The original thread was resolved 30 months ago, or 32 months ago this month. :biggrin:

Halls of Ivy is correct. A new thread is appropriate for a new problem.

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where all terms can be written in the form of a function of the independent variable and the dependent variable, without any constants or coefficients.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a homogeneous differential equation, first substitute the dependent variable with a new variable, then use separation of variables to solve for the new variable. Finally, substitute the new variable back into the original equation to find the solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation only contains a function of the independent and dependent variables, while a non-homogeneous differential equation also contains additional terms such as constants or coefficients.

4. Can a homogeneous differential equation have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a homogeneous differential equation can have non-constant coefficients as long as they do not depend on the dependent variable.

5. What are the applications of homogeneous differential equations?

Homogeneous differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model natural phenomena and solve problems involving rates of change.