Books recommendation for understanding quantum world

In summary: Billions by Brian GreeneIn summary, to start learning about quantum physics, you need a 'solid background' in mathematics and classical mechanics.
TeCNoYoTTa
Physics is not my area so I don't have solid background to understand complex books, I am searching for books to introduce me to quantum physics that I can understand. Can you please recommend any books for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a 'solid background' to start quantum physics.
Otherwise, you are led by the conflicting confusions of 'popular' treatments.

Meir Achuz said:
You need a 'solid background' to start quantum physics.
Otherwise, you are led by the conflicting confusions of 'popular' treatments.

Thanks alot, In your opinion what are the minimum requirements and prerequisites to start learning about quantum physics.

My major is computer science and I am interested in quantum physics in general and also interested about the quantum computing.

"How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog" by Chad Orzel is a pretty good pop-sci introduction.

The problem with doing it "properly" is that you need to have the right background (mainly maths), and even then it takes a long time to learn even the basics.

There is nothing wrong with pop-sci, as long as you remember that you that no popular description can ever give you the full picture.

Differential geometry (to the point of understanding differential operators), imaginary numbers, matrix algebra, plus a little bit of differential equations so the Schrodinger equation solutions make some sense.

I learned from A.C.Phillips, if you want a textbook with a bit of a narrative to it.

MikeyW said:
Differential geometry (to the point of understanding differential operators), imaginary numbers, matrix algebra, plus a little bit of differential equations so the Schrodinger equation solutions make some sense.

And of course a solid grounding in classical mechanics.

There are lots of similar threads in the books forum, so I suggest you do a search. I will move this thread there. Edit: Apparently someone else did that while I was typing that.

MikeyW said:

I learned from A.C.Phillips, if you want a textbook with a bit of a narrative to it.

You won't need differential geometry for QM. Not for the level the OP is searching for anyway.

Wilczek, Frank, _Longing for the Harmonies.
Gilder, Louisa, _The Age of Entanglement_

LOTS of _Scientific American_ issues, including "Helium3 Superfluids, June 1990.
Special Issue, _Science in the 20th Century_, including authors Einstein, Schrodinger, Weinberg, Guth & Steinhardt, Feldman & Steinberger, Scrhramm & Steigman and wonderful article, "The Mystery of the Cosmological Constant" by Larry Abbott.

SciAm is a great resource.

CW

Last edited:
micromass said:
You won't need differential geometry for QM. Not for the level the OP is searching for anyway.

I was just about to mention that. I know it from studying GR - but QM - well some advanced mathematical approaches such as Varadarajan - Geometry Of Quantum Theory do use it but that is at a level even beyond my go to book - Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development.

My suggestion is the following sequence:

To brush up on Classical Mechanics, Calculus and provide the necessary background - Susskund - Theoretical Minimum:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/046502811X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The Structure And Interpretation Of Quantum Mechanics By Hughes to start with:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674843924/?tag=pfamazon01-20

QM Demystified to get your sea legs at an intermediate level so to speak:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/046502811X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Then onto my go to book - Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If after that you are still keen get Varadarajan - Geometry Of Quantum Theory:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387493859/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But that is very advanced mathematically and many people (I am not one of them but then again I would classify myself as more along the lines of a mathematical physicist) will say its not even really a QM book - its really math.

Thanks
Bill

1. What are some recommended books for understanding the quantum world?

Some recommended books for understanding the quantum world include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality" by Manjit Kumar, and "The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books on quantum physics?

Yes, there are several beginner-friendly books on quantum physics, such as "Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate, "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek, and "Quantum Physics for Poets" by Leon M. Lederman and Christopher T. Hill.

3. Do these books require prior knowledge of physics?

Some books on quantum physics may require a basic understanding of physics concepts, while others are written for a general audience with little to no prior knowledge. It is important to read reviews and descriptions of the book before purchasing to ensure it is at an appropriate level for the reader.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on the history of quantum physics?

Yes, there are books that focus specifically on the history of quantum physics, such as "Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili and "The Quantum Story: A History in 40 Moments" by Jim Baggott.

5. Do these books cover all aspects of the quantum world?

No, it is impossible for any one book to cover all aspects of the quantum world. Quantum physics is a vast and complex subject, and different books may focus on different aspects or interpretations of it. It is best to read multiple books to gain a comprehensive understanding.