Triangular numbers, T(An +B), that equal (Cn+D)*(En+F) for all n

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the finding that interdependent arithmetic sequences can be generated by a formula and equations involving A-F, and that additional solution families have been found. The conversation also mentions a new group created to discuss these findings and a general method for finding more solutions. The speaker expresses their belief that this finding has implications for congruences, but also acknowledges that their presentation may be difficult to understand for some.
ramsey2879
I found that interdependent arithmetic sequences:
A*n + B, C*n + D, and E*n +F solving the
formula T(A*n+B)=(C*n+D)*(E*n+F), for all integer n can be
generated by the equations
A=(2m+1)*(2m+2)
B=(2m+2)*2m
C=+/- (2m+2)*(m+1)
D=+/- (2m+1)*(m+1)
E=+/- (2m+1)*(2m+1)
F=+/- (2m+1)*2m
I tried to find an example not generated by these formulas but could not. I believe that this finding has many implications with congruences.

Physics news on Phys.org
More on Triangular Numbers and arithmetic sequences

I found two more solution families to T(An+B)=(Cn+D)*(En+F) for all n where T(x) = x*(x+1)/2. Plus there is an interesting interrelation between the solutions. Besides the solutions for A,B,C,D,E and F below there is the solution:
A'=8m*(2m+1)
B'=4m*(3m+1)
C'=(2m+1)*(4m+2)
D'=+/- (2m+1)*(3m+2)
E'=+/- 16m^2
F'=+/- 2m*(6m+1)
Interestingly the above solution and the previous solution merge to form the third solution as follows:
A"=A'
B"=B
C"=C'
D"=D
E"=E'
F"=F
I am further searching for more solution sets.
ramsey2879 said:
I found that interdependent arithmetic sequences:
A*n + B, C*n + D, and E*n +F solving the
formula T(A*n+B)=(C*n+D)*(E*n+F), for all integer n can be
generated by the equations
A=(2m+1)*(2m+2)
B=(2m+2)*2m
C=+/- (2m+2)*(m+1)
D=+/- (2m+1)*(m+1)
E=+/- (2m+1)*(2m+1)
F=+/- (2m+1)*2m
I tried to find an example not generated by these formulas but could not. I believe that this finding has many implications with congruences.

Group created on Triangular and Figurate Numbers

I posted my further findings and some links at this group which I initiated:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Figurate_Numbers/
I present there a general method to find other families of solutions for values of A-F. I have more to post and intend to do so on this new group in the future

Do you realize that you are getting no responses because no one can understand what you are talking about?

What is your point? You start by creating sequences have a certain relationship and then show that the relation can be written in a number of different ways. If you in 9th or 10th grade then, Okay, pretty good. If you are older than that, all that should be trivial to you.

1. What are triangular numbers?

Triangular numbers are a sequence of numbers in which the next number is obtained by adding the current number to the next consecutive number. The first few triangular numbers are 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, and so on.

2. What is the formula for finding triangular numbers?

The formula for finding triangular numbers is T(n) = n(n+1)/2, where n is the position of the number in the sequence. For example, T(3) = 3(3+1)/2 = 6.

3. What is the significance of the equation T(An + B) = (Cn + D)*(En + F)?

This equation shows that there is a relationship between triangular numbers and other sequences, where the coefficients A, B, C, D, E, and F can be adjusted to create different sequences that still satisfy the equation for all values of n.

4. How can this equation be useful in mathematics?

This equation can be useful in exploring patterns and relationships between different sequences. It can also be used in solving problems related to triangular numbers and other sequences, as well as in creating new sequences with specific properties.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this equation?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this equation in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used in creating algorithms, designing structures, and analyzing data sets with triangular patterns.