Let's Test Our Movie Trivia Knowledge

In summary, the new rules state that it is OK to google the answer. However, you have to state that you did so in your answer.
DiracPool
I haven't seen a movie trivia thread in here. So I'll give this a go. The rules are: if you answer the current question correctly you get to ask the next one. Simple, huh? Only one question at a time, please. If no one correctly answers a current question within 24 hours of the posted question, then the floor is once again open to a new question. We'll see how it goes. Me first

Oh, and, most importantly...NO GOOGLING. You can look it up through print media or the microfiche at the library if you wish, that's allowed :smile:

Q: In an academy award winning black and white film, a certain gentleman goes to a bar called "Harry and Joes: Where good liquor flows" and get's into all sorts of mayhem. What's the movie?

Physics news on Phys.org
the lost weekend directed by billy wilder and staring ray milland and jane wyman 1945

What BW movie of the same year features a castle, a curse, a whirlpool and two lovers who don't know where they're going?

jedishrfu said:
the lost weekend directed by billy wilder and staring ray milland and jane wyman 1945

What BW movie of the same year features a castle, a curse, a whirlpool and two lovers who don't know where they're going?

'I Know Where I'm Going!' with Wendy Hiller

Q: Montgomery Clift as a reluctant boxer. No googling.

DiracPool said:
Q: Montgomery Clift as a reluctant boxer.

OK, time's up people, the answer is...

A: "From here to eternity," which also features Frank Sinatra a Maggio, a role he won the academy award for (best supporting actor). I can't believe you guys didn't get that one. Floor's open.

O.K., then, I'll jump in with this:

Q:Ninja Elvis defeats Soviet army.

Bandersnatch said:
O.K., then, I'll jump in with this:

Q:Ninja Elvis defeats Soviet army.

That would be the Six String Samurai.

A lightning strike, a flash of insight and chunk of metal comes to life.

jedishrfu said:

Thor?

jedishrfu said:
Short circuit?

Bandersnatch said:
Short circuit?

Bandersnatch got it. Lightning strike the bot, and the bot says "Johnny Five's Alive" his flash of insight...

Its your turn for a movie clue.

Here you go:

This film teaches to be wary of janitorial jobs in post-apocalyptic France.

Bandersnatch said:
Here you go:

This film teaches to be wary of janitorial jobs in post-apocalyptic France.

Would that be Delicatessen?

That's right, jedishrfu!

Delicatessen is a 1990 dystopian-oddball-feelgood comedy about cannibals. Dominique Pinon plays a janitor hired by a local butcher, whose business thrives despite shortage of animal meat.
The film was made by Jeunet & Caro, whose unmistakeable visual style was later fully realized in The City of Lost Children, and to a lesser extent could be seen in Jeunet's own projects(e.g.,Amélie, A Very Long Engagement).

Anyway, jedishrfu's turn.

okay here goes:

A scientist of the future invokes a creature from the past because of love in the present and the mind within creating a tempest of a movie.

Hmmm, this kinda sort of sounds like Aronofsky's The Fountain. Could it be it?

Bandersnatch said:
Hmmm, this kinda sort of sounds like Aronofsky's The Fountain. Could it be it?

It's a famous scifi flick of the fifties.

I've found the film through the magic of internets, so the rules of the thread forbid me from solving the riddle. I just wanted to compliment the wording of the question - it's multifaceted and exhaustive.

Bandersnatch said:
I've found the film through the magic of internets, so the rules of the thread forbid me from solving the riddle. I just wanted to compliment the wording of the question - it's multifaceted and exhaustive.

New rules. I'ts OK to google the answer. The only catch is that you have to state that in your answer...SHAME! But that's the new rule. You're on your honor. Obviously, it's much better to guess it without googling, you can state that too. That gets you more brownie points.

Sample:

I googled :frown:

or

I didn't google :biggrin:

Be honest!

Somebody save me from my shame by guessing the title without googling! I could not bear the taint on my honour!

Bandersnatch said:
Somebody save me from my shame by guessing the title without googling! I could not bear the taint on my honour!

Too late, Bandersnatch :devil: Your turn. Make it a good one.

DiracPool said:
New rules. I'ts OK to google the answer. The only catch is that you have to state that in your answer...SHAME! But that's the new rule. You're on your honor. Obviously, it's much better to guess it without googling, you can state that too. That gets you more brownie points.

Sample:

I googled :frown:

or

I didn't google :biggrin:

Be honest!

Why not take honesty out of the picture and allow anything goes in discovering the title? I like coming up with clever clues.

The movie was Forbidden Planet which was based on Shakespeare's The Tempest. You could show how you searched it and in that way improve others searching strategies.

jedishrfu said:
Why not take honesty out of the picture and allow anything goes in discovering the title? I like coming up with clever clues.

The movie was Forbidden Planet which was based on Shakespeare's The Tempest. You could show how you searched it and in that way improve others searching strategies.

Hmmm... Ok, seems as nobody likes the scarlet letter approach. Ok, anything goes, it is on the questioner to make the clue esoteric enough so that a quick search won't pop the answer up to easily. Does that sound good?

Since the rules have changed again, I'll restart.

Clue: a quote from the movie: "Dr._____, will I dream? Of course you'll dream ____, all intelligent creatures dream, no one knows why?"

What movie? For bonus points you can fill in the blanks. I didn't cause I thought it would give it away.

My guess is 2010 with the full quote

Dr Chandra, will I dream? Of course, you'll dream HAL, all intelligent creatures dream, no one knows why?

And my movie hint is:

Birds of a feather, pluck them together when one decides to stray. He returns them all one by one, until its done and gains his true love at last.

jedishrfu said:
My guess is 2010 with the full quote

Dr Chandra, will I dream? Of course, you'll dream HAL, all intelligent creatures dream, no one knows why?

Hahaha. Close, but no cigar. It wasn't Hal, it was Sal, Hal's "daughter" or sister, or whatever you want to call her. Heheheh.

However, you did get the movie right, so good job. I'm going to have to meditate (google) on your clue for a bit cause I don't know it offhand...

DiracPool said:
Hahaha. Close, but no cigar. It wasn't Hal, it was Sal, Hal's "daughter" or sister, or whatever you want to call her. Heheheh.

However, you did get the movie right, so good job. I'm going to have to meditate (google) on your clue for a bit cause I don't know it offhand...

Yeah you know I saw that and thought it was a mistake everywhere else it was HAL in the imdb quote list. When I clicked on the link I think it brought up Candace Bergen whereas Hal brought up a dude that I don't recall right now.

Focus on the feather...

Come on, give us another clue!

Ok, the 24 hour period is up, nobody got it despite my maniacal googling. You got us jedishrfu. So, per the rules of the opening post, the floor is now open. Of course, it is customary and courteous for the last questioner to reveal the movie we did not get, but not required.

My turn:

Clue: Dead man, body bag, outer space, big hoax

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Birds of a feather, pluck them together when one decides to stray. He returns them all one by one, until its done and gains his true love at last.
Hey, I know I'm late, but would that be Pandora and the Flying Dutchman?

DiracPool said:
My turn:

Moon?

Bandersnatch said:
Hey, I know I'm late, but would that be Pandora and the Flying Dutchman?

Moon?

Nice guess, not what I'm looking for but I'll give you half credit. I think all the elements are there except for the body bag? They were "put to pasture" in that creamator pod. Although there might have been in some "In-utero" type of bag in that clone nursery down below. I can't remember.

Anyway, let me know if you need another clue.

Yes please!

Bandersnatch said:
Yes please!

Ham radio

DiracPool said:
Ok, the 24 hour period is up, nobody got it despite my maniacal googling. You got us jedishrfu. So, per the rules of the opening post, the floor is now open. Of course, it is customary and courteous for the last questioner to reveal the movie we did not get, but not required.

My turn:

The movie was: The Four Feathers from the book by A. E. W. Mason. A young man in the service of the King quits his regiment just before its deployed to the Sudan to marry his fiance and his regimental comrades each give him a white feather of cowardice and his fiance also gives him one. He sets out to redeem his honor, rescue his friends and regain the love of his fiance. Great movie on the British Empire.

if you had typed 'feather mason' into google it would have popped up as the first entry.

jedishrfu said:
each give him a white feather of cowardice and his fiance also gives him one.

What a b&^$%! I would have dumped her like a bad habit. Especially if I had already paid the karaoke host for the reception :tongue:

O.k., no answer coming our way, it seems. Again. It'd help if there were more than just the three of us playing.

Let me try and break the spell by choosing an easy to guess film:

This movie has got everything backwards, including one of Guy's tattoos.

Bandersnatch said:
O.k., no answer coming our way, it seems. Again. It'd help if there were more than just the three of us playing.

Let me try and break the spell by choosing an easy to guess film:

This movie has got everything backwards, including one of Guy's tattoos.

Memento