Time Travel = Infinite Harry Potter's ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel using the example of Harry Potter in the book "Prisoner of Azkaban." The main question raised is whether the use of time travel in this scenario would lead to an infinite number of Harrys and how this issue could be resolved. The conversation also mentions the possibility of discussing this topic in a physics forum.
Poetic dreamer
Time Travel = Infinite Harry Potter's ?

This contains a Harry Potter *SPOILER*

...but I'm using it as a background for a question about Time Travel in general.

In J.K. Rowling's book, "Prisoner of Azkaban" when Harry is surrounded by dementors, he suddenly sees a stranger who looks eerily similar to him. The stranger then casts a spell that drives the dementors away.

Harry then goes into his school where he is given a device that could make him go back in time. He then goes back in time where he sees his past self surrounded by dementors. He then casts a spell that drives the dementors away.

Okay, I don't care about the rest of the book. My focus now is about Time Travel in general.

Now we have three Harry's. Present Harry who was saved by future Harry (the stranger who looked eerily similar to him) and then present Harry went back in time and saved past Harry.

1) Wouldn't this lead to infinite Harrry's since he's stuck in this loop of sorts ?

So if we managed to go back in time, how would we resolve this issue ?

Or maybe there's something wrong with my reasoning :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any possibility for a discussion based on physics for this topic. But it sure might be fun else where. So off to GD and thread hungry hoards.

Integral said:
I don't see any possibility for a discussion based on physics for this topic. But it sure might be fun else where. So off to GD and thread hungry hoards.

I posted it in the physics forum because we discussed Time travel to a great extent in my Advanced Placement Physics class.

I think that if we replaced "Harry Potter" with "fermionic particle", this would be an interesting physical question. :rofl:

Berislav said:
I think that if we replaced "Harry Potter" with "fermionic particle", this would be an interesting physical question. :rofl:

'twould be more interesting with a boson.

'twould make more sense...

1. Can time travel really lead to infinite Harry Potter's?

The concept of infinite Harry Potter's is a theoretical possibility in the realm of time travel. It suggests that if one were to go back in time and change a significant event, it could create a parallel universe in which multiple versions of the same person (in this case, Harry Potter) exist. However, the idea of infinite Harry Potter's remains a topic of debate and has not been scientifically proven.

2. How does time travel relate to the Harry Potter series?

In the Harry Potter series, time travel is explored through the use of a magical device called the Time-Turner. It allows the user to go back in time for a short period and change events. However, the consequences of altering the past are shown to be unpredictable and potentially dangerous. Time travel is also a central theme in the third book, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," as the characters use it to save a beloved character.

3. Is time travel possible in real life?

Currently, time travel is not possible in the way it is portrayed in fiction. While some theories suggest that time travel may be possible through methods such as wormholes or time dilation, there is no scientific evidence to support these ideas. The concept of time travel remains a subject of study and speculation in the scientific community.

4. What are the ethical implications of time travel in relation to the Harry Potter series?

In the Harry Potter series, the use of time travel raises ethical questions about changing the past and the potential consequences of altering events. This is shown through the characters' hesitation and fear when using the Time-Turner. Additionally, the idea of multiple versions of oneself existing in different timelines raises questions about the value of individual lives and the impact of one's actions on others.

5. Can time travel be used to change the outcome of the Harry Potter story?

In theory, time travel could be used to change the outcome of the Harry Potter story. However, this possibility is not explored in the series, and it is unknown how altering events in the past could impact the present and future. Additionally, the use of time travel in the series is limited, and it is unclear if it could be used to significantly alter the course of events. Ultimately, the idea of changing the outcome of the story through time travel remains a subject of speculation.