How to make LED display glow like a clock

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of evenly lighting a homemade 7-segment display. The person is looking for ways to diffuse the light from the LEDs in order to achieve a uniform glow, similar to commercial displays. One suggestion is to use multiple small LEDs per segment, or to try diffusing the light with thin white plastic.
Curl
I machined my own 7-segment display out of clear polycarbonate, each segment is about 1.5" long (it's a rather large display) and now it's time to add the LEDs. Turns out that the usual LEDs with the epoxy lens focus the light too tightly on one spot, so I get more of a dot rather than illuminate the whole segment.
I want to know how to make the LED light up the entire segment as uniformly as possible, just how they do it on alarm clocks and everything else. I tried diffusing it with many things and nothing really works. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
for a display with large segments like yours commercial units would use multiple small LEDs per segment
thereby spreading out the light

you could try diffusing the light from your LEDs with some thin white plastic between the LED and the front of each segment ... but even doing that I suspect for 1.5" segments you will probably need to use at least 3 of the small 1-2 mm diameter LEDs

cheers
Dave

1. How does an LED display glow like a clock?

An LED display glows like a clock by using a series of LED lights that are turned on and off in a specific pattern to create the numbers and symbols that are displayed on the clock. This is controlled by a circuit board and a power source.

2. What type of LED lights are used in a clock display?

The most common type of LED lights used in a clock display are called 7-segment displays. These consist of seven individual LED lights arranged in a specific pattern to create numbers and symbols. They are also available in different colors, such as red, green, and blue.

3. How can I make an LED display glow brighter?

To make an LED display glow brighter, you can adjust the voltage or current going through the LED lights. However, it is important to not exceed the recommended limits as it can damage the LED lights. Another option is to use higher-quality LED lights that are designed to emit brighter light.

4. Can I customize the colors of an LED clock display?

Yes, you can customize the colors of an LED clock display by using different colored LED lights or by using a color-changing LED strip. There are also LED displays that allow you to change the color settings with a remote control.

5. Are there any safety precautions when working with LED displays?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when working with LED displays. It is important to use the correct voltage and current for the LED lights to avoid overheating and damage. It is also recommended to use a resistor to regulate the current. Additionally, make sure to handle the LED lights carefully as they are delicate and can be easily damaged.