Photodiode to dim a led in bright light and brighten in dim light

In summary: Experiment with a breadboard. A potentiometer can be used to adjust the sense resistor values. In summary, the speaker is seeking help with using a photodiode to control the brightness of LEDs in different light conditions. They have tried using a PNP transistor and op amp circuits, but are still unsure of how to achieve their desired result. They are open to any circuit designs that can help them achieve their goal.
bneal
Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on something and am finding myself a little stuck. I am trying to determine how to use a photodiode to brighten leds in low light conditions and dim in bright light conditions. I was able to do this with a simple pnp transistor, however, i need to be able to complete this task with an op amp.

I was able to construct a current to high voltage converter, and also a high gain current amplifier but was at a lack of knowledge as to how to use it to dim or brighten lights.

So does anyone know of a circuit that does what i am attempting to do, or does someone know how to use a current or voltage to dim a led running of a simple battery and resistor. Each time i connect my op amps output to my led, it either makes the battery draw more or less current, without affecting the lights.

The values do not matter, given a circuit i can interpret and scale to my needs, i just need to see it done.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bneal said:
Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on something and am finding myself a little stuck. I am trying to determine how to use a photodiode to brighten leds in low light conditions and dim in bright light conditions. I was able to do this with a simple pnp transistor, however, i need to be able to complete this task with an op amp.

I was able to construct a current to high voltage converter, and also a high gain current amplifier but was at a lack of knowledge as to how to use it to dim or brighten lights.

So does anyone know of a circuit that does what i am attempting to do, or does someone know how to use a current or voltage to dim a led running of a simple battery and resistor. Each time i connect my op amps output to my led, it either makes the battery draw more or less current, without affecting the lights.

The values do not matter, given a circuit i can interpret and scale to my needs, i just need to see it done.

Welcome to the PF.

That seems a bit backwards to me. Why would you want to make the LED harder to see in bright light?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

That seems a bit backwards to me. Why would you want to make the LED harder to see in bright light?

Thx.

Well I am working on designing a toy car, during the day there is already light, so you can dim the lights, or almost shut them off completely. During the night when you can't see outside i want the lights to be bright so you can see.

So here's one way.
Use a TIA (trans-impedance amp) to turn the photodiode current into a voltage.
Now bias the LED on with a some setpoint voltage through a resistor.
(say 10 V and 5 k ohm) and then subtract the TIA voltage from the setpoint voltage. (turning the LED off in bright light.) Adjust the gain of the TIA to make things work the way you want.

George H.

Put current sensing resistors after your photodiode and your led lights. Sense resistors are just accurate resistors which have an adequate power rating for the application.

The current passing through the sense resistors will create voltages which can be inputs to an opamp circuit that suits your needs. I think you can do the whole thing with one differential amplifier circuit.

1. How does a photodiode dim a LED in bright light?

A photodiode works by converting light into an electrical current. When exposed to bright light, the photodiode produces a larger current, which can be used to decrease the voltage going to the LED, thus dimming it.

2. How does a photodiode brighten a LED in dim light?

In contrast, when exposed to dim light, the photodiode produces a smaller current, resulting in an increase in voltage going to the LED, which brightens it.

3. What is the advantage of using a photodiode to control the brightness of a LED?

Using a photodiode allows for automatic and real-time adjustment of LED brightness based on the surrounding light conditions. This can save energy and provide more consistent lighting.

4. Can a photodiode be used to dim and brighten multiple LEDs at once?

Yes, a single photodiode can control the brightness of multiple LEDs by connecting it to a circuit that can adjust the voltage to each individual LED.

5. Are there any limitations to using a photodiode to control LED brightness?

One limitation is that the photodiode will only work if there is a significant difference between the brightness of the surrounding light and the desired brightness of the LED. If the difference is too small, the photodiode may not be able to accurately adjust the LED's brightness.