Fluid mechanics study navier stokes

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student seeking practice problems with solutions for fluid mechanics, specifically those involving flow around plates and cylinders. Recommendations for textbooks such as Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot's "Transport Phenomena" and White's "Viscous Fluid Flow" were given, as well as suggestions to check with the school's library for these books. Additional recommendations included Acheson's "Elementary Fluid Dynamics" and Newman's "Marine Hydrodynamics". The student mentioned using White's text in their current class and wanting to check their work through practice problems.
member 428835
hey pf!

i am studying fluid mechanics and we are reviewing navier/stokes equations. we have gone over a few problems, but i could definitely use practice on more. do you all have any suggestions that include solutions, not just answers, so if I am stuck i can see how to solve?

problems ideally are similar to this: https://engineering.purdue.edu/~wassgren/notes/NS_PracticeProblems.pdf

the kind of problems dealing with flow about plates, cylinders, and all that.

thanks!

josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the record, the above hyperlink was something i found that was really good but no solutions. its definitely not from my class

joshmccraney said:
for the record, the above hyperlink was something i found that was really good but no solutions. its definitely not from my class
A lot of these problems are solved in Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena. Are you not using Bird as a text at Purdue?

Chet
A U of Michigan grad

Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot is common in some fields like chemical engineering, but in my experience, other fields tend to treat other authors as the holy grail of fluids texts. A lot of aerospace programs, for example, use Anderson's series of textbooks ("Introduction to Flight", "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics", and "Modern Compressible Flow") for the introductory fluids courses. Most upper-level courses on viscous flow seem to use White's "Viscous Fluid Flow", which is an absolutely phenomenal book. Mechanical engineering at UIUC used Munson, Young, and Okiishi for their introductory fluids course when I was there (apparently this book has a slightly different author list now).

Thumbs up for White!
It was "my" book on viscous fluid flow as well.

Yeah. I'd definitely recommend White. It is a bit pricey though unless you can find a good deal on a used copy. It seems the price has practically doubled since I bought it, and that was only, perhaps, 5 or 6 years ago. It also has a fair number of solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations if I recall. It won't have things like the OP's example of water flowing down a wall touching air, but once you understand the basics like Couette flow, that is an easy problem anyway.

So yeah, to the OP, the book in question is this one: Viscous Fluid Flow by White.

A word of warning, though. It does have the basic examples worked out like Couette flow and Hagen-Poiseuille flow, but it doesn't have any exercises or other standard examples, as it is really meant as more of a graduate text and reference text, but its coverage of viscous fluid flow is phenomenal.

A similar text would be Boundary-Layer Theory by Schlichting. It has another comprehensive set of worked out basic flows but it again is more of a graduate/reference text and doesn't have any additional examples.

Otherwise, some of the other undergraduate-type texts like Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot (as Chestermiller recommends), Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson, Rothmayer, Okiishi, and Huebsch, or https://www.amazon.com/dp/0073398101/?tag=pfamazon01-20 may be more what you are looking for depending on which discipline you are studying. Maybe check your school's library for these books as they are very common and will certainly be available as long as they aren't already checked out. You would also need to find a solutions manual for these if you want the answers to the exercises though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it is, more relevant for applications for inviscid fluid flow modelling, rather than NS, I cannot avoid recommending Newman "Marine Hydrodynamics" as well.
Damn pricey, though.

I suppose I should also toss out Fluid Mechanics by White. I don't have any personal experience with this book, but White's other books (e.g. Viscous Flow) are high quality and I have heard good things about it.

thanks for the replies and suggestions! i actually don't go to purdue; i just found the link from google. also, our class is currently using white's viscous fluid flow. i feel i have a good understanding but would like to be able to check my work through the problem to ensure my logic is correct.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under different conditions. It involves analyzing the motion and forces of fluids, as well as their interactions with solid objects and other fluids.

2. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of fluids. It takes into account various factors such as fluid density, velocity, and viscosity to determine the forces and changes in motion within a fluid.

3. Why is the Navier-Stokes equation important?

The Navier-Stokes equation is important because it serves as the fundamental equation for studying fluid motion and is widely used in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It allows scientists to make predictions and analyze the behavior of fluids in real-world situations.

4. What are some applications of fluid mechanics and the Navier-Stokes equation?

Fluid mechanics and the Navier-Stokes equation have many practical applications, such as in designing airplanes, predicting weather patterns, and understanding blood flow in the human body. They are also used in industries such as oil and gas, automotive, and aerospace engineering for designing efficient and safe systems.

5. What are some challenges in studying fluid mechanics and the Navier-Stokes equation?

One of the main challenges in studying fluid mechanics and the Navier-Stokes equation is the complexity of the equations and the nonlinear behavior of fluids. It can be difficult to accurately model and predict the behavior of fluids, especially in turbulent flow situations. Additionally, obtaining accurate experimental data can be challenging, and many fluid flow problems require advanced computational techniques to solve.