Adding a total derivative to the Lagrangian

In summary, to find the difference between two Lagrangians, you need to find a vector B^\mu such that the difference between the two Lagrangians, is equal to \partial_\mu B^\mu.
JPaquim
I recently posted another thread on the General Physics sub forum, but didn't get as much feedback as I was hoping for, regarding this issue. Let's say I have two Lagrangians:
$$ \mathcal{L}_1 = -\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu A_\nu)(\partial^\mu A^\nu) + \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu A^\mu)^2 $$
$$ \mathcal{L}_2 = -\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu A_\nu)(\partial^\mu A^\nu) + \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\nu A_\mu)(\partial^\mu A^\nu) $$
They refer to the same Maxwell in a vacuum field theory, so they give rise to the same equations of motion. As such they should differ only by a total derivative. I can test if something is a total derivative by plugging it into the Euler-Lagrange equations, and see if I get something that can be reduced to [itex]0\,=\,0[/itex]. In this case, there should be some vector [itex]B^\mu[/itex] such that the difference between the two Lagrangians, is equal to [itex]\partial_\mu B^\mu[/itex], right? My question is, how can you find [itex]B^\mu[/itex] (up to the addition of a divergence-less term)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the first 2 terms are identical, you need to show that the second term of L1 = L2 + 4 div, thing which I find trivial.

dextercioby said:
Since the first 2 terms are identical, you need to show that the second term of L1 = L2 + 4 div, thing which I find trivial.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not finding it trivial. Could you write it out for me, please?

or you can just try the Lorentz gauge... for the 1st
For the second you just need to do a partial derivative, and use again the Lorentz gauge...
You'll have the same lagrangians, differing by a total derivative term

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
or you can just try the Lorentz gauge...
No, you cannot impose gauge conditions on the Lagrangian!

I'm sorry, but I'm just not finding it trivial. Could you write it out for me, please?

Aμ,νAν,μ = (Aμ,νAν) - Aμ,νμAν = (Aν,μAμ) - Aμ,νμAν = (Aν,μAμ - Aμ,μAν) + Aμ,μAν,ν

Last edited:

1. What is a total derivative in the context of the Lagrangian?

A total derivative is a mathematical expression that represents the change in a function due to changes in its independent variables. In the context of the Lagrangian, a total derivative is used to determine the equations of motion for a system by taking into account the change in the Lagrangian with respect to time.

2. How is a total derivative added to the Lagrangian?

To add a total derivative to the Lagrangian, we use the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action (integral of the Lagrangian). The total derivative is then added to the Lagrangian in a way that preserves the minimum action principle and results in the correct equations of motion.

3. What is the significance of adding a total derivative to the Lagrangian?

Adding a total derivative to the Lagrangian allows us to take into account any external forces or constraints acting on a system, which may not be explicitly included in the original Lagrangian. This results in more accurate equations of motion that accurately describe the behavior of the system in the presence of these external influences.

4. Can a total derivative be added to any Lagrangian?

Yes, a total derivative can be added to any Lagrangian as long as it follows the principle of least action and results in the correct equations of motion for the system. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate description of the dynamics of a system.

5. Are there any limitations to adding a total derivative to the Lagrangian?

One limitation to adding a total derivative to the Lagrangian is that it only applies to systems that can be described using the principle of least action, which is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics. Additionally, the total derivative must be carefully chosen to ensure that it does not introduce any new degrees of freedom or result in inconsistencies in the equations of motion.