Why Does Ice Float in Water at 9°C?

• Thread starter pscience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the density of water decreases as the temperature increases. However, ice is more dense than water and therefore will not sink in water at temperatures greater than 9 degrees.
pscience
Please help. Ice is more denser than water when temperature of water ≥9°C. Then why ice doesn't sink in water at these temperatures? I greatly appreciate your help.
Density chart: http://www2.volstate.edu/chem/1110/Density_of_Water.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia said:
The density of ice is 0.9167 g/cm3 at 0 °C,[3]

I don't see the water density becoming smaller than that in the chart you linked to, at 9 degrees the water was at the 0.9997xx area.

pscience said:
Please help. Ice is more denser than water when temperature of water ≥9°C. Then why ice doesn't sink in water at these temperatures? I greatly appreciate your help.
Density chart: http://www2.volstate.edu/chem/1110/Density_of_Water.htm
Ice and water can't exist together at >9C (in equilibrium). Ice melts and water freezes at 0C and as soon as you drop ice into water, the water's temperature starts to drop until there is quickly an equilibrium (at least locally).

[edit]...er, yeah, and it looks like the density claim is wrong anyway. Ice's density is 0.917...

ice float

Gullik said:
I don't see the water density becoming smaller than that in the chart you linked to, at 9 degrees the water was at the 0.9997xx area.

As per any density-Temp chart or graph I found online giving unique info and that is ice is denser than water at temperatures more than 9C. Please be specific about temperatures.

pscience said:
As per any density-Temp chart or graph I found online giving unique info and that is ice is denser than water at temperatures more than 9C. Please be specific about temperatures.

Where is ice listed in the chart in your link? All I see is water density numbers.

And as has been said already, ice does not exist at 9C...

Thank you for your time my friend. Do you think that water of any temperature is denser than ice?
For example which is more denser? ice(0C) or water(20C)

pscience said:
Thank you for your time my friend. Do you think that water of any temperature is denser than ice?

If ice has the density quoted or 0.917g/cm^3, and you look at your table, what do you think?

What is the context of your question?

No context my friend. I was reading a physics book and curious to know more about it. so, you think that ice is less denser than water of any temperature. Is that correct? thank you.

pscience said:
As per any density-Temp chart or graph I found online giving unique info and that is ice is denser than water at temperatures more than 9C.
Why don't you give the link to that reference so we know what you were looking at.

pscience said:
No context my friend. I was reading a physics book and curious to know more about it. so, you think that ice is less denser than water of any temperature. Is that correct? thank you.

Maybe I'm getting a little out of the context of the question, but it's thought super-cooled water at the lower bounds is less dense than ice. There's still a lot of research and experimentation going on about the thermodynamics of super-cooled water.

Yes, the same chart I posted above my friend. Water density at 9C is 0.999781 g/mL and at 0C is 0.999841 g/mL. So clearly ice denser as per that chart. So shouldn't ice sink? Thank you and sorry to bother you.
http://www2.volstate.edu/chem/1110/Density_of_Water.htm

pscience said:
Yes, the same chart I posted above my friend. Water density at 9C is 0.999781 and at 0C is 0.999841. So clearly ice denser as per that chart. So shouldn't ice sink? Thank you and sorry to bother you.
http://www2.volstate.edu/chem/1110/Density_of_Water.htm

No, that's all liquid water.

pscience said:
Yes, the same chart I posted above my friend. Water density at 9C is 0.999781 g/mL and at 0C is 0.999841 g/mL. So clearly ice denser as per that chart. So shouldn't ice sink? Thank you and sorry to bother you.
That chart only shows liquid water densities. No mention of ice. (Water can be liquid at 0°C.)

Oh,Water can be liquid at 0°C. that makes sense. Thank you so muchhhhh.

1. What is the reason behind ice floating in water at 9°C?

The main reason for ice floating in water at 9°C is due to its unique molecular structure. Water molecules are more densely packed in a solid state than in a liquid state, causing ice to be less dense than liquid water. This difference in density allows ice to float on the surface of water.

2. How does temperature affect the density of water and ice?

As the temperature of water decreases, the molecules slow down and become more tightly packed, making the water more dense. However, when water freezes and turns into ice, the molecules form a crystalline structure that causes them to be less densely packed, resulting in ice having a lower density than liquid water.

3. Is this phenomenon unique to water or do other substances exhibit similar behavior?

This phenomenon, known as the density anomaly of water, is unique to water. Other substances may become more dense as they freeze, causing them to sink instead of float.

4. What is the significance of ice floating in water at 9°C?

This characteristic of water has important implications for the survival of aquatic life during the winter months. Since ice floats on the surface, it acts as an insulating layer, keeping the water underneath from freezing completely and allowing organisms to survive in the liquid water below.

5. Can this phenomenon be observed at temperatures other than 9°C?

Yes, this phenomenon can be observed at any temperature below 4°C. At 4°C, water reaches its maximum density and from then on, it becomes less dense as the temperature decreases, until it freezes at 0°C. Therefore, ice will float in water at any temperature below 0°C.